HD Sees Less Than Advertised Amount

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayT

Baseband Member
When I bought this HD it was working flawlessly. Nothing had a problem and the displayed amount was showing up exactly how it was advertised when I bought it. The space is 82.3GB, and it displayed it.

Now all of the sudden it shows 76.6GB and I don't have any idea on how to change it back. 'Manage' didn't show me anything that would even concern this problem. Any ideas?

What kind of HD do you have? Mines a Hitachi, the BIOS recognizes it as 82.3 also. So something is wierd.

hd7ji.jpg

Alt-Print Screen works for small windows like that. Yeah mine looks the same, I'm gonna research this.

if it displays less space than it actually has, you might be able to create a new partition with fdisk in the unused space, and then merge the partition with the primary

make a boot disk, and put on a file called NTFSDOS

your OS has protected/unalterable files. i believe they're used by the OS anyway and can't be messed with, as well as the space it reserves for internet cache, system restore, etc. etc.

it is normal and not a mind-blowing discovery, sorry guys. my 80 gig is 76.3 in windows, 81 total in BIOS. the space is not missing but used.

This is my pure storage drive. I have absolutely nothing else but music, videos, and pictures on it. I don't have a page file on it and there is nothing else I can think of that is taking control of the space.

HD's use decimal
Windows uses binary

So if a HD manufacturer says its 1GB
Windows says its only 0,09765625GB

Because 1GB in decimal is 1000MB
and 1GB in binary, Windows (and everything else) is 1024MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom