overclocking my P3 and TNT2

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey apok, not saying to do this, as your computer is old enough so I don't think the ram can be, but, I think you should look at overclocking your ram (since you're gonna be changing your fsb I'm talking about the timings)

Check the timings and don't mess with the CAS, because you probably can't get that down while raising the fsb, but look at the rest of the timings and maybe try to bring them down just a tad (if your mobo lets you) This usually results in raising your benchmarks a good amount (ratioed to your computer of course).

gl if you're able to mess with that stuff, if you want to anyways...

my BIOS doesn't have the options for altering RAM frequency, although it lets me change the timings between 2 and 3
I might try and find a tool to overclock it if I can

the video card overclocked fine to 172/200 core/mem but started getting buggy graphics if I overclocked it further; I tested it using 3dmark01 to make sure it was stable after overclocking

my friend gave me a Zalman CPU cooler, which is really quiet and cools well; more motive to overclock it
I also went out and got 2 Thermaltake 120mm fans with blue LED's and replaced the 2 120mm fans that came with my Lian-Li PC-V1000, the system runs almost silent except for the PSU's 80mm fan and the video card fan (tiny and noisy)

what coolers are out there which I can use on a TNT2?
I might replace the PSU's 80mm fan with a quieter one too

oh and none of the tools I found support my BIOS chip; it's a Winbond W29C020-19 with Award 1.0 software

I just got a Thermaltake Extreme Spirit cooler (designed for a Northbridge) and put it on my TNT2
I had to move up some of the PCI cards but I have the core at 180MHZ now

okay, now I took the 2 copper ramsinks off the southbridge and put the alluminium ones from the extreme spirit onto it instead (it doesn't run very hot anyway) then I put the copper ones on the bottom of the GPU, and now it's stable at 180 after continued benchmarking

my highest score in 3dmark01 is now 1138

I downloaded an updated BIOS and flash utility from Gigabyte, so I'll flash the BIOS and see if I can overclock the CPU

okay, I found that I can overclock my CPU with jumpers
when I tried overclocking my 700MHZ CPU to anything it would crash
however, just today I got me a 933HZ CPU for $25 aus and I now have it overclocked to 150FSB, which makes 1050MHZ and it's completely stable!

I've just benchmarked it also, getting a 1493 score in 3dmark01, that's coming from 1077, which I started with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom