Lost my CD Rom drive after adding extra HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadshort

Beta member
I added new HDD and changed CMOS. In Win 98, I can access old HDD as C drive, and new HDD as D drive, but I can't see CD Rom pdrice anymore (was called D drive). Tried playing a CD with CD Player - get message "There is no CD Rom player attached to this PC." Tried adding new hardware - no good.
When adding new HDD, I removed Master/Slave bridge from pins at rear of drive - could this be part of the problem, should the bridge be fitted across other pins?

My pc is a P2 350. Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks, Deadshort.

You should change your bios back .Your BIOS should auto Config your Drive leters.
Usually you have your Master C: drive .The new drive you added should be set to slave and be auto detected as D: Some situations depending on your Hardware may require using Cable Select Jumper Settings.Research the Harddrive and determine what the manufacture recommends .Then once you boot into your operating system go to My Computer and rightclick on the drive you added and select Format Drive.

Jumper problem, look if it says how to configure MASTER/SLAVE/CS on the back of your drive or on the label.

Make sure each IDE cable has at least 1 master and the second device should be configured SLAVE.

For cable select: set both devices on the same cable to CS/CSEL and the system will automatically configure them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom