Good Comp or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sh0r_ty said:
not sure what you mean 939 far better performance than 754 not sure about that 754 have been benching as good as 939 if not better in some cases if you get that dfi board im sure the 754 will outperform any 939 its like trying to upgrade a Porsche
actually there are some major differances between the two. 754 has absolutly no upgrade potencial as AMD have already stopped designing new 64 bit processores for it. The other thing about 754 is that it doesn;t support duel channel ram and their are no PCI-E motherboards.

First, the second generation 754 chipsets for Athlon 64 represented a genuine improvement in features, flexibility, and performance for AMD's processors. Second, while we did find the 939 to be a faster processor, the real performance improvements from dual-channel memory are fairly small, mainly because the Athlon 64 uses shorter pipes and is not as bandwidth-sensitive as current Pentium 4 processors. This means that the real improvement from dual-channel 939 is only about 2% to 5%. Third, and perhaps most important, AMD has kept prices for Socket 939 very high, with all the value A64 CPUs only available in Socket 754. Fourth, enthusiasts have found that many Socket 754 boards, like the recently reviewed DFI LANParty UT nF3-250Gb, overclock those bargain processors very well - often reaching beyond the performance that can be achieved with overclocked 939 processors, which are more expensive.

MUHAHAHAHA:freak:

now that im thinking about it... is the 3400 overkill for my purpose of having a comp? I see alot of users with 3000's or 3200's, they all say how they can get good performance while playing games and such... does that only mean the 3400 is even better? or moreso.... is it worth the money?

philo67 said:
First, the second generation 754 chipsets for Athlon 64 represented a genuine improvement in features, flexibility, and performance for AMD's processors. Second, while we did find the 939 to be a faster processor, the real performance improvements from dual-channel memory are fairly small, mainly because the Athlon 64 uses shorter pipes and is not as bandwidth-sensitive as current Pentium 4 processors. This means that the real improvement from dual-channel 939 is only about 2% to 5%. Third, and perhaps most important, AMD has kept prices for Socket 939 very high, with all the value A64 CPUs only available in Socket 754. Fourth, enthusiasts have found that many Socket 754 boards, like the recently reviewed DFI LANParty UT nF3-250Gb, overclock those bargain processors very well - often reaching beyond the performance that can be achieved with overclocked 939 processors, which are more expensive.

MUHAHAHAHA:freak:
lol in simple terms should I stick with the 939 or go back to original plan of the 754? and I changed my mind on the case that I want...
ALIEN TOWER BLACK 400W $69.97 2/3s of the chemings price and comes with a power source.

here it is

Ok guys heres all the parts that I basically need. Now all I need to do is save up what I don't have...so much for my budget. Ya so PLEASE tell me youre comments or suggestions, or more importantly if I'm missing anything. Thanks

Alien Tower Black 400w $69.97
LG 52x32x52x CD-RW $36.97
160 Gig West Dig 8mb 7200 RPM $109.97
1.44mb Drive 3.5 Inch $12.97
Soft Touch Keyboard Both $12.97
MS optical 3B USB USB $19.97
512mb DDR PC2700 333 DIMM $89.97
ASUS A8V-DX 939 Socket $174.97
DLINK 10/100 NIC PCI $14.97
AMD 3400 754 Socket $279.97
ATI Radeon 9550 256 MB $119.97

Total Cost $1,109.02

I wonder if i need the network card...:confused:

edit: Ok now that I wanted to know more about the mobo...i found out it was recommended for servers! so whats a good mobo for gaming, compatible with a amd and not too expensive? thanks alot

Your proccesor and motherboard won't work with each other.

I'd also reccomend going up to the 9800Pro, you'll get a lot better performance and longer life out of it than the 9550.

Also, I don't know why you are buying a seperate network card, most motherboards come with built in 10/100 or greater capabilities, and judging by the motherboard model, it should as well. If it doesn't, I'd be pretty well convinced that it's a garbage motherboard and you could get something MUCH better.

Finally, I'd reccomend a new PSU, most generic ones aren't the most reliable power sources in the world.

And make sure your hard drive is SATA, the price makes me think otherwise.

Oh, and get another stick of 512MB and go dual channel.

yea i noticed that the mobo wasnt even meant for gaming lol i went with something 60$ cheaper... I wasnt sure about the lan card, i took that off the list im editing and working on... I may stick with the 512 for temporary and later ill upgrade.

so now after some changes i made, i took out the floppy(i can salvage that outa a old junker in my basement, it works too) lan card and changed the mobo and dropped from 4 digits down to 3 digits... $861:D alot easier on my wallet, considering i don't currently have a job. The mobo i changed to is a ASUS k8v-x 754 socket. It should work? So its either between upgrading the video card or ram.... i wanna try and stay under the 900$ level

EDIT: I like the sound of $861, with an upgraded video card or going dual ram is like 930+ so I'll stick with what it is, I can always upgrade later.

The 160gb hd is not sata... a 120gb sata is only 6$ more.... maybe i should go with that?

I would still seriously suggest going the 939 path as opposed to the 754, if you ever need a proccesor upgrade it'll be a lot easier on the 939 pin boards.

I've quickly googled your new motherboard and I see it's compatible with DDR 400, so I'd step it up to that as opposed to 333 for better performance.

By the way, is that price in Canadian funds, I notice you are from Canada, and that seems REALLY cheap for a lot of that stuff, although I could be wrong.

yea that is canadian funds... newegg doesnt ship to canada, i don;t really like ordering internationally, border fees and shipping tick me off... www.computer-central.ca (is where im getting my rig from) its just down the road from me. so it's a + for me. If you look under the motherboard section of computer-central the only 939 board is the one i originally considered but it was meant for servers but thats the only one listed for amds, but they can most likely order it in for me.

the 400 ram is only 10$ more illl go with that, it can't hurt.

and that brings it up to $872 still w/o a 939 mobo. I think since that I'm kinda going overkill with a 3400 I probably won't have a need to upgrade... technology cant possibly grow that fast in a few years, and besides, I'll probably grow out of hardcore gaming once I'm in school or working, but maybe I'll still game a bit, and who knows I may have to sell my comp and all my stuff to get a ride or a pad.... who knows. I think in my case I'm gonna stick with the 754. But I'll sleep on it. lol

There are quite a few 939 socket motherboards on the market right now, that distributor just doesn't have them all.

I always like buying parts locally, that way if there's any problems with them, there isn't any hassle to getting them looked into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom