ocing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblaze725

In Runtime
i'm having problems overclocking my cpu past what it is at right now. my temps are good. i typically idle at about 31c-33c and under load usually dont go past 43c. i have a thermalright heatsink with a vantec 92mm tornado on it, a vantec 80mm tornado in the front lower part of the case for intake, 2 antec 80mm fans in the mid rear for exhaust and a vantec spectrum fan card. my temps seem good and my components i believe are good enough for a better overclock, but if i go higher than i am now it isnt stable. iver tried raising my core voltage slightly to help, but with no luck. anyone have any idea whats causing this or any suggestions?

oh also since i tried messing with my core voltages and going higher and such my idle temps seem to be a little higher even though i brought everything back down to where it used to be. my idle temps seem to hover between 34c-37c now.

Does your mobo have an AGP/PCI Lock on it? If not then you are Overclocking those components bus speed when raising the CPU FSB and the reason you can't get it stable no matter what is because those bus's are too high and you could potentially fry agp or pci components and/or your hard drive.

If you do have that lock then it could be simply your CPU has reached it's max even if your temps are cool if a CPU maxes out there's nothing you can do.

i have a separate area for ocing my agp/pci/src buses, all of which i left normal. i guess i must have reached my cpus potential which really sucks. it seems odd though cause its not very overclocked at all i only went from 2.8 to 3.08. at 3.08 its perfectly stable and the temps are good when i go up the temps are still good but its no longer stable. is there any way im doing something wrong and i havent reached the max clock speed?

id try raising core voltage more, you say you raised a little... what did you raise to? and have you tried upping it alot to see if it gives you any increase in stability.

my normal core voltage is 1.525 and i upped to i think 1.575, but i dont wanna go too high and fry anything.

hmmm, well that cpu shouldnt have topped out there... in my opinion atleast, i could be wrong.

oh man don't worry about frying it from the voltage really, I set my Vcore up at 2.225 trying to get the sucker to not freeze when I started at prime95 trying to hit 2.8GHz on this XP...I can only get it to boot at that speed, no stable =/

Anywho, the newer processors simply won't take the settings, they won't try and force it through the CPU and completely destroy it. CPU's have since come better and for the most part won't fry just from you upping the Vcore unless perhaps you jumped from that 1.5 up to 2.0 but even then I still think your board just wouldn't accept the settings and a CMOS clearing would fix it.

You definitely need to up your vcore. My chip is 2.5GHz at 1.875 VCore and it's been that way for a while. And it's a mobile chip so it's supposed to be at 1.35 in a laptop lol =P

That's the thing with overclocking you gotta push those things, it's never meant to be a safe procedure.

Raising the Vcore is the only thing that will gain you stability so you either stay at 3.08 or you try 1.6 Vcore

I can tell you right now just going from 1.525 to 1.575 isn't enough to stable out an OC...that's only .05, I'd say you'd probably need 1.65 in order to get it completely stable if currently it just won't take it at all.

Don't assume that I'm saying 'RAISE UP THE VCORE YOU'LL BE 100% FINE!' but that would be the only way to get stability. Like I said i've pumped 2.225 Vcore through my CPU and it's not dead so CPU's have become a lot better at not dying out.

Basically this is a disclaimer....I take no responsibility for any harm done to your computer :D

But if your AGP is locked, you don't think your CPU is maxed out then up the Vcore

no disclaimers allowed im taking nubius advice and if anything fries hes responsible. just kidding. i will give it a shot though and hope for the best. i was worried about going too high but what the hell why not try. thanks for the help.

well im now up to a 2.8@3.22 with 920 fsb@1.68 vcore. my stability seems better now and my temps havent risen too much. my idle is at 34-37c and i havent seen it get past 44 at load yet. i will continue to try and push it slightly higher and see what i can get. once again thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom