Backing up and Reformating

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdfg

Beta member
AVG has detected approximately 15 viruses/trojans. I can't heal/delete/fix them. My final option, which I probably need to do, is reformat. I have read through step-by-step guides on what to do. But to a point I am stuck. This is my first time doing this and I think my PC needs it.

Could you guys help me out please?

I have Windows XP Home Edition SP1.
I have the Windows XP Home Edition CD.

These are the guides I have gone through with but I am lost on the whole thing actually.
http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-reformat-winxp/reformat-NTFS-XP.html
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
I have a 30GB HDD.

Could someone helpful enough please guide me through this, step-by-step?

-Go into your BIOS (restart, press Del at the first screen that shows up)
-Change CD-ROM to primary boot device
-Insert WinXP CD
-Save changes to BIOS
-Restart
-WinXP CD will be detected, press a key to go into installer
-Press F8 to agree to license agreement
-Delete your partitions
-Create new partitions
-Tell installer which partition to put windowsXP on
-Format the winXP partition using NTFS format
-Setup will install WinXP onto the new partition
-You can format the other partitions you made (if any) once windows gets up and running.

no, you will have back up how you wish, either a secondary harddrive, or by disc backup (cd-r or DVD+R), or you could do a netowrk and hook two computers up and move the data to be saved on to the second computer.

Could you please explain thoroughly on how to do that?
I'm kinda stranded in the dark on what to do.

Thanks!

EDIT: On the backing up to a blank CD I mean.

um, burn a CD-R with all your data and then you will have a CD-R with all your data. LOL. I use DVD+R personally because i have a 250Gig harddrive and lots of data/music/video files to back up. I usually keep backups even when I don't plan to reformat, ya know, just incase.

Uh. I'm a n00b and this is my first time. Could you please be specific and detailed and guide me through it please? Like what to do and where to go.

Thank you. :D

well, what burning software do you use, I can walk you through Nero , cause that's what i use.

I open nero when i have a blank cd in the drive. then i select "data cd". I then add my data files to be burned onto the cd. From there, i check mark the box that says "verify data after burning" which will make sure you don't lose any data. then, finally, i click "burn", and it will burn the data onto the cd, then check for errors and most all the time it will burn successfully and then you're done. you now have your data on a cd.

being that you has so many viruses, backing up to cd is the best thing to do as you can corrupt other systems or your reformatted one. scan your cds with antivirus software b4 putting them back on your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom