xp not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbienthehouse

Baseband Member
I have an eight GB hard drive which doesn't seem to accept the xp files. I've tried two xp discs so it is not the disc. I have another hard drive about 1650 MB and was wondering if this would be sufficient for xp. I would then set the other hard drive as secondary and run all my programs off that. Is that acceptable?

How far into the installation do you get, and what error messages are displayed, or does it just freeze?

Also, are you sure your computer is capable of handling XP?

You can set your smaller drive as master and your larger one as slave and it should work though, although you will have to do a bit of configuring so that your C:\ drive isn't too full.

Well christmas two years ago I installed it w/o a problem. I've tried to format the drives but nothing seems to happen. The error message says that this file(different each time) was unable to be copied usually something with .dll. Although one of my friends has told me that my computer which is an athlon 350MHz might not be able to handle it. but it did once. It's not a big thing to me if I can't get it to work, I just hate not knowing what's the problem.

Other note, my good computer has pentium 4 with HT tech running at 3.0 GHz with a GB of ram and 120 GB hard drive with a Geforce 128mb video card and some other soundblaster sound card. xp with sp2

I would not recommend installing XP on a 1650MB harddrive. I think XP needs at least 1500MB. You will get in trouble very soon!

ya my xp pro windows folder is sitting at 2.02 gigs rite now without sp2 and that isnt the program folder or anything for the programs that dont even give u an option of installing anywhere but the windows partition, u fill it up to full u wont be able to defrag or anything plus just decreased drive performance from it being so full. i cant remember but i think the minimum ur supposed to keep is 10% free or something like that

My Windows folder is just under a gigabyte right now, and my entire system drive is just over 1.5 gigabytes, so I don't think that size is an issue here. Mind you, this is without SP2, but still, with the right tweaking and configuring, you can greatly reduce the size of Windows. He'll be fine on the smaller hard drive, he just has to install all of his other applications to the other drive.

how come my windows folder is twice as big as some ppls, its not like ive installed software there or something besides windows and updates

I have another hard drive about 1650 MB and was wondering if this would be sufficient for xp.
Thou you can install windows XP easily, on the long run its always going to be a problem , even when you install all the other applications in a separate drive.

The error message says that this file(different each time) was unable to be copied usually something with .dll.
Might be that you are having problem with your CD-ROM and not with the hard disk.

how come my windows folder is twice as big as some ppls, its not like ive installed software there or something besides windows and updates

Service packs archives, dll files of the installed application, windows backups, temp files, prefetch data ...................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom