Service Pack 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randah

Solid State Member
I've been putting off installing it for ages...cuz i heard of it doing more harm then help. Now my computer has been acting up and i thought it was my virtual memory, but then i sent the error report today which i usually dont bother doing everytime something messed up n it recommended i install service pack 2.....so now, should i install it or continue to put it off...i also have a pirated copy of windows

First off I wouldn't listen to Microsofts recommendations. Of course they want you to download SP2, lol.

Check your page file and see how much you have put towards it. Virtual memory doesn't usually just mess up a computer. You can actually do completely without Vmemory if you wanted to.

ya no i think i solved the virtual memory problem...im leaning more towards a messed up processor or ram...but i was wondering if service pack 2 was worth downloading or not..and if it would help my situation any..my computer reboots, alot...if i have a convo or 2 on msn, music match jukebox playing, and im playing a stupid web game such as bejewelled, it reboots...i have 512mb of ram and an AMD 1800+ processor...it should be able to handle it, and i know it isnt overheating cuz the hottest my cpu gets is about 42C...also i've had problems with this computer since i built it...i tried switching ram and this comp worked perfectly fine with different ram but this ram also worked perfectly fine in a dif comp...so then i tried to format and re-install and it worked good for a while then started rebooting alot then it just sorta fixed itself n now its being gay again...i've scanned it with at least 5 or 6 dif anti virus/trojan n they find nothing. I clean my registry with regsupreme every so often and remove my spyware every few days....soooo suggestions?

Check your VCore and see what it's at. Also how old is your power supply? Give me your system specs and then the wattage of your PSU (power supply unit) and the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v amp ratings which should be listed on the side of the power supply.

Have you checked the computer for spyware? Using Ad-Aware, and Spybot will both help in that area. Scan for viruses just to limit down the number of reasons about what might be causing it. I'll try my best to see what the problem is, most likely it's something small.

Just noticed you edited your post. Well since the obvious is out of the way, get those system specs and the VCore. Also using SpeedFan (or whatever you were using the see your CPU temp) get all of the voltages on the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v rails (rails = the voltage lines that supply power.)

Not to insult your intelligence by simplifying everything, but I'd really like to help you out of this mess. I know it's frustrating so I'll try to make it easier on the both of us.

okie dokie...i remove my spyware every day or 2 i have both ad-aware and spybot...i have avg which scans my comp everyday n finds nothing i also used a few online virus scanners which found nothing.

My power supply isnt too old, it came with the case which i got less than a year ago. Its a powmax 400w power supply and these are the #'s i got from the side of it

+3.3v/28A max
+5V/30A max
+12v/25A max

is that what you meant?

the temp of my cpu is 42C which is 107F right now...i have 512mb of ram and an amd 1800+ processor

Use this chart to add up the power consumptions of all of your components. http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/power_supplies-04.html After that, get the total wattage used and see if the amp ratings are in spec. Then go to the BIOS and see what the Vcore rating is set at. It should say at least 1.65V for your processor.

If the RAM you swapped out into this computer was working perfectly, why not switch it back in until you can get around to buying new RAM to replace the faulty one?

Well you see....about the ram, I took a computer tech course (believe it or not) and thats where i built this computer n thats where i switched the ram, so i dont own a spare stick of ram to use until i replace this one...as for the rest of what you said, well i havent made it that far yet

Ok now...about the rest of that stuff, its gunna have to wait for another day. Its pretty late, or well...early n i gotta be up soon for a long day of work. If you have msn add me my addy is randahpanda@hotmail.com, if not then we'll just continue here another day. Thanks a bunch for ur help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom