logging in

Status
Not open for further replies.

oaevx6

Solid State Member
I have two hard drives on my system. One with WinXP Pro and one with Win982E, which I removed. When I boot up it always asks which system I wish to boot into..... How can I have it boot directly into XP. At times it starts to boot into XP and then restarts. To eliminate it I have to press F8 and choose the option of 'Start Windows with last good configuration which would be Win XP,' and the transition is smooth. I would just like to turn on my computer and not have to guide it into 'startup!!'

Tks in Advance FW

Intel 4, 2.5ghz, 512 RAM
MSI Motherboard
AT1 9800 Pro video card
WD 80 & WD 40 gig hard drives

No.....I had them on a different computer and added the hard drive.....XP on the 80 Gig Win 98 on the 40 gig....which I added and then removed the operating system....but it seems when I boot up it recognizes two operating systems. If I click to boot on regular windows it just recycles back to original start question..

if you have removed win 98 from the drive, and there is no data you need on it, you need to reformat that drive if at all possible. also check the bios to make sure it recognizes the hardware changes. i would start there.

That is the problem.....I have tons of data I wish to retain...one of the reasons I put the hard drive on the computer so I could access it. I play around with Photoshop 7 and have hundreds of photos on the old drive. I went into the bios and both drives are recognized....obviously in Win XP not like old MsDos when you could edit out what you didn't like. Tks for the advice, I will just have to keep plugging until I find the magic button to push....

Right Click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Start Up and Recovery Settings

Uncheck the box labeled "Time to display list of operating systems", and make sure the operating system you want to boot is selected in the drop down box. Reboot and it should work.

It got rid of the having to make a decision on operating sys., but now won't continue booting to Win XP once the Win XP screen is displayed and icon moving.....across!! Shuts down and I have to go to F8 and choose 'start with last known good configuration??

Do you by any chance have service pack 2 installed? My Pentium 4 got stuck in a continous reboot when I installed SP2. If you do, I'd suggest removing it and trying again, although that may be a bit difficult without access to XP...

Is it possible I should have to re-load Win XP..... Is there a quick solution to fill in possible lost files without reloading all????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom