disk cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riz

Baseband Member
I have an HP with windows XP and when I go to run a disk cleanup, it says its scanning to see how much space it can clear and about 2 bars show then it seems like it stops. It makes noise at first like its actually scanning then it stops. And i've tried going away and then coming back later to see if its progressed but it didnt. Im pretty sure theres something wrong because i've done it before on my odler/slower computer and it seemed to do it faster.

well, go into your internet options, and clear out your cache and temp files that way first, then, run defrag to compress the files. this will get most of the heavy work that cleanup does out of the way so cleanup won't get stuck when you run it next time. i had the same problem and this always works for me.

ohGrFreak said:
run defrag to compress the files.

Defragging your HDD has NOTHING to do with compressing your files. All it does it take fragmented files and places them in adjacent clusters so that your HDD takes less time retrieving the data.

Riz,

OKay, the manual mode...

Select 'show hidden files' and uncheck 'Show OS files' in Folder Options.

* Delete temp files
* clear internet cache, temp internet files and history
* Empty recyle bin

I think some member in T.F here written a script to delete all the unwanted files in the system. Maybe T.F. search can help you.

I cleared my temp folder last night, the problem is still being able to run disk cleanup. It says that it is scanning, but stops after two bars...

Riz,

Might be a really bad/corrupted file that hangs the disk cleanup. Run a scandisk on the drives and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom