Upgrading my P4

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatGreenCrayons

Solid State Member
I've decided to upgrade my 1.8ghz P4 to a 3.2ghz P4 as that is the highest I can go before changing my socket 478 motherboard. I'm worried about compatibility issues as so far I have determined the whole socket thing, but I've read somewhere that the Intel i845 chipset is not compatible with the 800mhz front side bus that I want with the 3.2ghz. I'm pretty sure my motherboard is an Asus P4B266LA if it helps to know that. Can anyone steer me in the right direction for upgrading my cpu?

go 4 socket 775 if u wanna go with Intel. otherwise go 4 socket 939 if u wanna go with AMD. it's more future proof 4 both Intel n AMD.

Well, I've considered that but I do have a budget to keep in mind and I know that if I decided to go 775 then I would inevidetably find myself opting for 3.4 which is more expensive. Also I am sort of a novice at this and although I feel as though I've figured out the whole upgrading process for a cpu, I haven't gotten my feet wet with motherboards yet.

There may be a BIOS update that will support a faster CPU with 533 FSB with HT. But i think the CPU available is only 3.02 .I ran into the same problem .800 FSB with HT you`ll need to upgrade the MB and CPU

rather save up till you can afford a socket 775 otherwise you will kick yourself when you buy a socket 478 proccessor

Okay then can anyone suggest a good motherboard and price for my situation? Also, are there any special considerations I should keep in mind for upgrading and installing a new motherboard?

pc_boy, stop preaching! He uses Intel and leave it at that. Crayons, I suggest an Abit AA8-Duramax and a Pentium 4 520 which runs at 2.8 GHz. Then I suggest you overclock using the uGuru safe overclocking application. I have a 520 and have it clocked at 3.73 GHz from 2.8 GHz. My processor outpeforms a $1000 Pentium 4 XE 3.46 GHz and I only paid $162 for my processor.

Megadeth2 said:
pc_boy, stop preaching! He uses Intel and leave it at that. Crayons, I suggest an Abit AA8-Duramax and a Pentium 4 520 which runs at 2.8 GHz. Then I suggest you overclock using the uGuru safe overclocking application. I have a 520 and have it clocked at 3.73 GHz from 2.8 GHz. My processor outpeforms a $1000 Pentium 4 XE 3.46 GHz and I only paid $162 for my processor.

Although do note that OCing success ranges with each individual CPU, but yeah you should get a huge gain nonetheless;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom