pc66 or pc100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

In Runtime
Hi, I have a jetway 542c mother board. I have 2 sticks of pc133x128 dimm. It is dimm that is OK in a pc100 system. When I do a memory upgrade search for this board it says to use pc66 memory. I see my new hard drive is ultra DMA100 capable but board has only ultra DMA33/66 so HDD is running at 66. I have a AMD K6-2x500 CPU with FSB at 100x5. I thought the dimm should match the FSB or is that wrong? Why do they only recommend pc66 dimm? Is it because of the DMA66 speed? Will running pc 100 dimms cause problems? I wanted to get a pc100x256 dimm to replace one of the 128s but now I am not sure if I have the right speed dimm in it. Confused Tom

download CPU-Z , just google that name and you'll find it.

It will tell you all the information you need including the model and speed of your RAM. Once you see what you got just buy another stick of that.

Hi, I did the CPU-Z but it didn't give any info on the memory eccept that there is 256mb. It gave no timings or any of that stuff. I used the latest version, Should I try a earlyer version? I only have 2 dimm slots and have a 128 in each of them now, I want to replace one of the 128s with a 256. Tom

CPU-Z doesn't give any info on SDRAM. Try AIDA32, Everest or SiSoft Sandra.

I don't think SDRAM should match your FSB, cause most old comps only have 66MHz FSB and support PC133. Don't know if it runs at 66 :confused:

Ahh, sry, I had forgotten that CPU-Z doesn't give info on SDRAM...Didn't mean to lead you astray there.

Hi, This board goes to 100fsb, I have it at 100x5 for the cpu. The AIDA32 is the same as everest. Unless I am missing something I can't find at what the dimm is running at, I don't know if its at 66 or 100. Tom

I found the memory bus on everest, I overlooked it before. It is at 99.97 MHz. So I assume pc100 would be the right dimm? Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom