Brand Laptop vs. Non-Brand Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbcao2004

Baseband Member
Brand Laptop vs. Non-Brand Laptop

I am deciding to get a new or used laptop for school. It is mostly for internet, word processing, and chatting. I am willing to pay around 1000 Can for the laptop.

I am not sure if laptop with a brand name is better than a laptop with no brand name. But one thing for sure, those Dell, Compaq, IBMÂ… are much more expansive than the ones with no brand.

Can you guys list some of the advantages and the disadvantages of both Brand and Non-Brand laptop?

I really need you guysÂ’ help.

Thank you.

K well there are a number of pro's and cons for both
NON BRAND
Pros Better parts for less money, A lot of the places will give you personal service, some will want to prove themselves and as such will give above average deals and customer service
Cons might have a crappy warrenty, even if it does have a good warrenty the company might go brock and then they don't have to uphold the warrenty, somtimes dubious quolity controll

Brand
Pros U know who you are getting it from so you know the quolity, Get a cool logo on the back :), get a warrenty that you know will be upheld

Cons Crap value most of the time, bad customer service a lot of the time cos u don't mean squot as a customer to them, a lot of the big companies charge 300-500 dollers Australian for a 3 year warrenty on a laptop

Really i think that it all comes down to how much you know about computers and how much of a risk you can offord. if you know the brand of all the parts in that laptop are awsom then who put it together probebly matter. but the fact remains that you are still risking losing your warrenty if they go broke or if they close shop (happened to a friend)

my 2 cents worth here...
they might cost a little more, but i'm VERY pleased with my Sony Vaio laptop... would recomend! but it might be a bit over budget.

See i got my Acer (that im typing on now) when acer was a pritty small brand they didn't really mean much but they grew and now their quite big. this meant that they stopped caring about how i broke a computer part they just replaced it cos they were big enough to not have to worry about it. this has been of huge benifitt to me beacause they have been fast and efficient when replacing parts of my computer and when i bought my laptop they were small to i got a great deal.

The only upgradable laptops I know of are Dell and Alien- even though these companies offer a couple of systems with swappable graphics cards I haven't seen any offered on the market.

Cheap laptops are often cruddy little motherboard, case and screen sets that builders buy in cheaply and just add memory, drives and a (usually desktop) processor. Some generic lappys get hot enough to melt their cases, in fact about half the Mitacs sold one year did this. I think it folded the company.

Get a Toshiba, the quality's awesome.

Random top-tip: Vaio laptops are rebaged Asus with sony prices.

Really random top tip: IBooks are cheap and awesome quality. Well, as long as you don't mind Mac OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom