Does the CPU voltage matter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisman88990

In Runtime
Well my CPU says its running at 1.813 V according to CPU-z, would it matter if the new CPU i want to get runs at lets say 1.45 volts, or 1.6v ?

No, just as long as the lowest possible voltage you can achieve will be completely stable. To be considered stable your comp should be run for a minimum of 24 hours using prime95 torture testing. Select the test that says "for maximum heat" or something along those lines.

I had my voltage set at 1.76, which was on the auto setting in BIOS. Everything ran perfect but my temps weren't where I wanted them so I changed it to 1.65 manually. I ran the Prime95 torture test for 24 hours and with no errors was running at 41 full load rather than 46 full load. Made quite a difference.

You are always supposed to reset the CMOS when you install a new CPU...so as soon as you do that, the Vcore won't be 1.813 anymore. It should auto-set it to the correct CPU Vcore...it only gets changed when you overclock and raise it yourself

thanks nubius and greyt, that clears everything up :). cant wait for my xmas money now. Gunna do some major shopping at neweggs :D

Make sure you do not increase it unless neccesary. Only use small steps to get it stable.

What's ur mobo? make sure it supports the new cpu.

Nubius said:
You are always supposed to reset the CMOS when you install a new CPU...so as soon as you do that, the Vcore won't be 1.813 anymore. It should auto-set it to the correct CPU Vcore...it only gets changed when you overclock and raise it yourself

Correct, but if for some reason it auto-sets itself to a much higher setting than need be don't be afraid to LOWER the voltage. Just keep in mind the Prime95 stability testing and you'll be good.

Just whatever you do DON'T RAISE the voltage unless you have sufficient cooling. Even then you'll have to check to see what the maximum VCore you can achieve is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom