Bought a Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you read earlier in this thread a lot of people were saying that that would be really hard to do

Im actually just building my first ever system (except a Gatway that was an absolute wast of time took them 3 months to replace a floppy drive and thats not exagerating

i've done some price comparisons with dells and the place im goin to CPL and i've found that they charge about 1.5-2 times the about i would pay for the same machine

There are really only a few things that tick me off about dells and here they are, the customer service (thought about getting one once) can be really bad, they call something a games beast and then only give it 512 ram and a X300 (PCI-E 9200) they claim to have great warrenty's and stuff but only back systems for 1 year unless you want to pay $300 extra

P4 3.4, 925x chipset sound decent.
512mb ram is decent but the sweet spot is a gii of ram- 2 sticks of 512 for dual channel goodness.

Raedeon x300 SE- they cut some cost there.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to use it for. You won't be doing much cutting edge gaming on a system like that. So really it becomes an overpriced net surfer, application machine.

Did you get any information on who the motherboard manufacturer was? Who supplied the ram? What are the specs on the powersupply?

I think the reason you'll find the folks here turning there noses up at Dell is were mostly enthusiasts. Dell does little to enthuse anyone. There use of prepriatary parts and very little in the way of system customization leaves you with the choices they have chosen for you.

Over the years there once stellar customer service and product reliability have slipped enormously. Go to resellars ratings and punch in Dell......that pretty much paints the current picture of Dell.

After several systems built by commdity companies such as Dell I think you just might come around to our way of thinking.

Enjoy the forums.....there's lots to learn here.

Kaniver,

I do understand your way of thinking. I try to approach everything with an open mind. I understand if you know enough to build your own computer then that is the way to go. Wether it be because you get better parts even if they have the same specs or because you want more freedom in your bios. I don't have the know how to build one, so I purchased instead, and it was around the same price or less than I could have built one for. From what I've seen.

I think some people feel I'm standing strong by my Dell and that I feel like they can't be beat. That's not the case. I'm just trying to say there not as bad as people make them out to be. And when they say I could have built one for less, I just want to see it.

People can't tell others they screwed up because they didn't build there own computer when they don't have the knowledge to. Try to tell my grandpa he screwed up by buying one already built when he does good to check his email. I've seen people say it in this forum. Not to me, but to others.

My computer was not purchased for gaming. I don't even own a computer game. It was purchased for light video editing. Nothing cutting edge needed there either, but I did need something a little better than an application machine/net sufer, and it gets the job done.

As far as who manufactures there stuff, I have know idea. The power supply was 350watt. Nothing great I know, but it does seem sufficient for my system. I realize you were only making a point by asking anyway.

Some people complain about not being able to OC. Why would they build a computer that someone can burn up only to have to pay for someone elses mistake. Yes there is a lot of people that do it with success, probably most, but there is probably many that have messed something up too. I'm sure they don't run to the forums to brag about there screw up.

I agree with you. There is a lot of good info in here and that's why I'm here.

lazerman said:
They also rig there hardware so you cant use different major components unless you buy it from them (like they wire the psu unit so that if you get a different mobo it will fry it).

Well Mister lazerman, on this statement I will have to say
that you are FULL OF SH!T as I have just installed a new
MOBO in a Dell 8200, and put a new vid card and more ram
and none of it came from Dell, and nothing has fried yet.

No I am not saying Dell is the best, but you guys here like
to bash them and the people who buy them.
Just cuz you guys built your own rigs dont mean crap
to most people and most seem to like to jump on
the I hate Dell ban wagon with the guys here that think
they are GODs GIFT TO THE COMPUTER WORLD sorry
guys you are not.
Hell my Dell would prolly smoke most of your lame ass computers
any how.
Now if you really want to have your little home built boxes
spanked I'll take out my Mac G5's and show you what a computer
really is. So why don't you good folks here go about the buisness
of helping people and stop bashing them and there computers.

paint

paint said:
Just cuz you guys built your own rigs dont mean crap
to most people

Actually i get alot of respect when i tell people i buiilt my own ccomputer. They ask me for help alot more and they look at me as a sort of unofficial support line.

paint said:
Hell my Dell would prolly smoke most of your lame ass computers
any how.
Now if you really want to have your little home built boxes
spanked I'll take out my Mac G5's and show you what a computer
really is. So why don't you good folks here go about the buisness
of helping people and stop bashing them and there computers.

paint

Yuor Dell would suffer badly by more than half of the computers on this forum alone. Not to mention the other thousands of rigs out there that are home built and tuned. Your Mac G5 is a dual processor machine that is overpriced and overrated. It might run a few SMP benches and multi-media tests faster that a single slower XP chip, but in overall speed and gaming it would have its @55 handed to it by alot of A64/P4 machines. Let's not start ranting...

Not everyone needs a custom rig. I didn't have one my first 5+ yrs. on a computer.You've made your point. Stop trying to flame every single person on the forum who has the time and passion to build a custom rig please.

Paint, the Mac G5 is a waste of money, those are so over priced. Besides, what makes you think the G5 is the best processor..?

Codeine said:
Paint, the Mac G5 is a waste of money, those are so over priced. Besides, what makes you think the G5 is the best processor..?

Codeine, The G5 is over priced, but not a waste of money.
Now as far as being the best processor that all depends
what you are using it for. If you are a gamer the PC is the
better choice, if your are in the Graphics industry as I am
then the Mac is hands down superior to the PC.
I have 6 G5's 2 are Duals 4 are single, 4 G4's 2 are duals
2 are single, and a verity of other Mac's.
I have 2 Dell PC work stations 1 is a 8400 1 is a 4100
All these machines are used daily for the graphics industry,
to output customer files to high end imaging devices.
All working with different flavors of Unix servers and rips.
Now on a daily bases your Macs will run without issues
your PC will always have a issue. If a Mac program runs
poorly just dump the prefs. If a PC program does, well it will
take a while to fix. If a Mac runs poorly you can dump
the finder prefs, zap the p ram and rebuilt the desk,
maybe 15 minutes of work and all is ok, worst case
copy the system folder from another mac and good to go
and that is worst case happens well not very often.
If a PC acts up and crashes and locks up well sucks to be
you might take awhile or full reinstall. I have never had
to do a full reinstall on a Mac.
Mac's never have to worry about viruses PC's always
have to worry about them. On the Mac if you give me
a file no matter were it was created I will get it open.
PC well just send me PC files and I will be ok.
And on my new G5 dual with 2 gigs ram, when
you open a 300 or 600 meg file in Photoshop CS
well lets say dont blink cuz you might just miss it.
A P4 3.6 2 gig ram well let me also go check my email.
And anyone who says this is not true in graphics
has never used a Mac as they say once you go Mac
you will never go back. I have a PC customer that
did some freelance work for me this summer,
and used one of our G4's well she bought a G5
2 months later and has loved it ever since.
So I guess it all depends what you are comparing
the processor use to. So if you want to game and check
email and surf the web and run simple word processing
programs then buy a PC. But if you want to create
high end graphics and designs and have very few issues
then buy a sweet @ss G5 dual and dont worry about the price
you will make it back in no time, plus you will not have to
upgrade all the time.

paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back