Which should I consider as the better IDLE temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbcao2004

Baseband Member
In windows, I closed everything and waited for the temperature to settle down to the IDLE (10 minutes). Then my softwares (I have two, MBM5 and Asus Probe 2, they detected smiliar temperature) will say 41C for CPU. Then I immediately closed down my computer and rebooted and went into bios, it will say 45C or 46C, after 4-6 minutes, the bios temperature will rise and stay at 52C.

So should I consider the 41C as my IDLE temperature? or 45C? or 52C?

well when you go into the BIOS it uses a little CPU power so that would increase your temperatures. I would say 45C is probably your IDLE. Youd want to take the higher temp and then work on getting it lower than taking the low temp and assume it's ok when in reality it may be hotter than you want it.

It is running the CPU at the designated clock speed. Your computer HAS to have CPU power to just boot up, this is using the CPU and will cause it to heat up.

Also the BIOS may have to 'refresh' the info which would mean the CPU is getting used to provide the clock speeds and frequencies.

I'd have to agree with him. but just quickly what motherboard do you have cos the ABIT motherboards are prone to some serious problems in temperiture reading

Sorry for intruding on the post, but you said that Abit mobo are prone to bad temp readings.. is this certain models or just a select few? also, is there a way to tell the true temp on one besides feel? (I have an Abit KV7)

so according to your information, my IDLE cpu temperature is bettwen 41-45C
I would say that's accurate. SiSoftware Sandra is another program that gives you system information as well as temps via their System information tab. You should check that and see what your temps read.

ABIT motherboards are prone to some serious problems in temperiture reading

I know my NB temp diode is way off. I know another kid on these forums that has the same board and he can read his NB temps, yet when I select to read the temps using a program like motherboard monitor 5 it shows it at either 48C, -47C, or 120C depending on which sensor I choose. The CPU and motherboard Temps however are pretty accurate.

I wouldn't say prone to serious temp reading problems...perhaps their older boards but check your BIOS and a 3rd party temp reading software josh and if they match up then I doubt you have any real worries. You could always buy a seperate thermometer if you wanted to check up on it.

I wouldn't really rely too much on the BIOS temperature. SpeedFan, MBM5, Asus Probe, and SiSoftware Sandra all say my Idle temp is 36°C, where as the BIOS reads 51°C.

I used one of my friends laser temp reader things and it read 35°C. So obviously in my case the BIOS was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom