After Pentium 4 HT

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaara said:
Intel are currently scrambling to put together 64 bit proccesors to compete with AMD, although as it currently stands, by the time they get something as successful as the new 939 pin 64 bit AMD Athlons, AMD will probably be well on their way to releasing a 128 bit proccesor...

There aren't any programs that take advantage of the 64 bit chip, other than the Operating System, why would Intel be scrambling to put out a product that has NO use? If there is no 64 bit software, what good is a 128 bit processor?

^^ yea. i mean maybe 2% of the computers have a 64-bit processor (remember, there are very few fanatics like us here). the average computer user doesn't even know the difference. why would intel "scramble" to make a chip and try to steal half of that 2% market.. i am sure they are working on it, but i seriously thing they are rushing.

Because all of Intel's Pentium 4's, even with hyperthreading, have been completely obliterated by AMDs new 64 bit chips in nearly all benchmarks, it's a cold hard fact and you can't ignore it.

Also, there aren't any operating systems out at the moment which are based on 64 bit architechture, so I don't know where you are pulling that from. However, since the release of the AMD 64 bit chips, companies like Red Hat, Windows and others have begun developing programs that DO run on 64 bit architechture.

It's silly to build software that can't even run, that is the why the 64 bit proccesors have come first, so that software to take advantage of them can actually be used. Basically AMD has given these companies a little push in the right direction, and eventually 64 bit proccesors will replace 32 bit, so why, when you know this, would you purchase a 32 bit proccesor?

It's the same as the newer 16x DVD burners. 16x media is incredibly difficult to find, so why buy a burner that can burn at those speeds?

Whether 64 bit applications are availible now or not, the AMD 64 is still a far superior 32 bit proccesor when compared to the intel pentium 4.

For one:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

As of now, no software companies look like they will be going to 64 bit software SOON. Even of some companies do, all programs will not just pick up and hop on over to 64 bit code! To me, its useless as of NOW, and probably 4-6 months from now, to have a 64 bit processor. Besides, I prefer Intel over AMD and even if software were to convert overnight to 64 bit code, I would neglect the Athlon 64!

BTW - The only thing I know of that CPU companies ARE rushing for, is the dual cores.

Gaara your absolutely rite. Im pretty sure Unix runs 64 bit. Rizinc4 64 bits arent useless now. Its the beginning of new technology, companys must always adapt. And P5 are gonna be 64 bit.

Rizinc4 said:
For one:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

As of now, no software companies look like they will be going to 64 bit software SOON. Even of some companies do, all programs will not just pick up and hop on over to 64 bit code! To me, its useless as of NOW, and probably 4-6 months from now, to have a 64 bit processor. Besides, I prefer Intel over AMD and even if software were to convert overnight to 64 bit code, I would neglect the Athlon 64!

BTW - The only thing I know of that CPU companies ARE rushing for, is the dual cores.
Mmm, that still looks like some sort of BETA though, no?

Also, totally disregard the whole 64 bit dillema, as I have stated, the AMD Athlon 64 proccesors are faster than any of Intels proccesors in most 32 bit applications, and that is the bottom line.

At least I can agree on your avatar. :p

Codeine said:
Gaara your absolutely rite. Im pretty sure Unix runs 64 bit. Rizinc4 64 bits arent useless now. Its the beginning of new technology, companys must always adapt.

You tell me what takes advantage of the 64 bit processing OTHER than the OS? Besides, as I said... I wouldn't buy an AMD product if it could sing and dance for me! It took YEARS for companies to "adapt" and go to 32 bit processing... not to mension the amount of years it took for these programs to even be brought about! Not only this, but even after the 32 bit programs were brought about, there was a struggle with compatiblity, and troubleshooting kinks. I think I will stick with my stable 32 bit processor until things are nice and smooth with Intels non-server version of the 64 bit chip (whenever this comes about..)!

The next thing is Intel's Pentium 4 on Prescott 2M. The Prescott 2M is a Prescott with 2MB L2 cache and will be used on the 600 series Pentium 4s and the Pentium 4 EE which will be replaced by the 700 series. The 600 series will come in speeds of 2.8, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, and 3.8 GHz and the 700 series will initially begin with speeds of 3.73 GHz on a 1066 FSB. The 600 and 700 series will carry Intel consumers over to Dual Cores set to be released in late 2005 or early 2006 which will be called Pentium Xx0 (X20, X40, X60) and they will be released in configurations where each core will be running at 2.8, 3.0, or 3.2 GHz. In addition, Intel will release a new single core Xeon for lower end servers with a 667 FSB and will remove DDR2 Reg. compatibility since it is much too expensive for the corporate world. The Xeon will be based on NetBurst, but NetBurst will be revised to allow for a higher IPC. I believe initial speeds will be 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4 GHz and they will come with a 2 MB L2 Cache. I hope that clears up everything. I'm sure about the Pentium 4 bit, however, I have my doubts about the Xeon because taht was a rumor on a different tech forum.

Edit: The Prescott 2M will include EM64T or 64-Bit and will have lower temperatures. :D :bald: :p ;) The current Intel Pentium 4 F series will be discontinued once the Prescott 2M processors are released.

Rizinc4 you must have a personal problem with AMD. But the benchmarks speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom