Mcafee vshield

Status
Not open for further replies.

24giovanni

Banned
I bought a pc in 1999 which had Mcafee vshield loaded on it as my AV shield. If I haven't updated since I've had is it still effective or is it outdated and not worth keeping? Any help is appreciated.

It would be quite outdated yes. It may not even be supported any more either. One way to find out is to instal it and try to update the progam. Some companies, after a product gets to a certain age, do not update the core components, but do update other aspects of it.

~Fawks

wow, just wow, i check for updates every couple days manually, plus i have it on autoupdate, i just being safe i guess. there should be updates around every two weeks that should be performed.

24giovanni said:
I bought a pc in 1999 which had Mcafee vshield loaded on it as my AV shield. If I haven't updated since I've had is it still effective or is it outdated and not worth keeping? Any help is appreciated.

With ANY anti-virus program out there, you need to update your virus definitions on a regular basis - atleast 1x a week. If you're asking for updating the program itslef - that's a different story. In 1999, McAfee was putting some horrible stuff... the real time virus scanning was very poor and theyy weren't all that great about getting definitions out. They've been making some attempt to get better but IMHO - they have long ways to go to gain consumer confidence again. I would suggest you ditch McAfee and use either Kapersky or Norton AV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom