After Pentium 4 HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
Anyone know what's gonna come after the pentium 4 HT? pentium 5 maybe?? and is it a good time to buy a computer right now?? computer prices are dropping and i really do not know whether i should buy a computer right now or just wait a few more until something new comes out...

Its a good and bad time to buy computers. Good cause yesterdays technology is pretty cheap and you can jump on the bandwagon and not be totally obsolete for a couple of months.

Bad because we're in the middle of a socket 939 switch, pciexpress switch, sata optical drives... all that good stuff. personally ima get an entirely new comp in the summer of 2005 when AMD FX will prolly be affordable.

Prescott cores "are" Pentium 5's....

I think the next big leap will be 64 Intels and dual-core processors. Intel has already decided to stop scaling the clock speeds on their P4's . I think they hit 3.6....? or maybe 3.8.

my prescott is a P4. and dual cores should be out next after 5 series, not necesarily P5, but rather thier weird number system that starts with a 5 for their new chips.

EDIT: self correction here, the 5 series prescotts are still technically P4 chips. so it reads like this (example) "Intel P4 550". So, I do believe that Intel will go straight from P4 chips to dual cores next year, but who knows what those chips will be called?

Well you see this has really been bothering me for awhile:p

My 3ghz is getting real old, real fast and while I can technically afford a new one I just don't feel good about it:)

I mean I could get a 3.6ghz, but then you would need a new mobo.....ok so another $200, no biggie.... Owhh wait, if I get a 925 chipset though I would need DDR2....which would be slower then my current DDR...... Huh, ok:p DDR2 for a decent set might cost more then CPU:eek:

Going to a 3.4 just doesn't seem practical to me really, as I would want a LGA775 Prescott personally:rolleyes:

The future looks just as confusing unfortunatly with Intel abandoning Netburst basicly and coming out with a dual core AFTER AMD:confused: They will supposedly release 2mb, 1066mhz FSB Prescott's soon....but damn those will be expensive with no future:confused:

I am seriously considering jumping ship to AMD in the future...... I hate to join the exodus, but Intel is on the backfoot right now and looks to be like that for a good long while:(

your LGA775 retention bracket and CPU look really clean. My cpu when I got it new was a dark grey. STAY WITH INTEL !!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T GO AMD!!!! I read somewhere that if ever wanted to resell your computer, any AMD powered computer get a lower resale price compared to Intel powered systems.

A dvanced M icro D ildos

Viva La Intel

Intel are currently scrambling to put together 64 bit proccesors to compete with AMD, although as it currently stands, by the time they get something as successful as the new 939 pin 64 bit AMD Athlons, AMD will probably be well on their way to releasing a 128 bit proccesor...

uzi9mm said:
your LGA775 retention bracket and CPU look really clean. My cpu when I got it new was a dark grey.

Thats not actually mine, I have a 478 P4, that pic is just from Anandtech:D

gaara said:
Intel are currently scrambling to put together 64 bit proccesors to compete with AMD, although as it currently stands, by the time they get something as successful as the new 939 pin 64 bit AMD Athlons, AMD will probably be well on their way to releasing a 128 bit proccesor...

:eek: are you sure? a 128-bit processor?!?! didn't it take like 12-15 years to go from 32-bit to 64-bit?? and now in only 2 years, bring out a 128-bit processor when there aren't even many apps made just for 64-bit processors?!?! i highly doubt it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom