can't install xp, think my comp doesnt know it has a cdrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailinstud420

Beta member
heres the deal....

I have an older computer that has a 4 gig hard drive, it was recently reformatted and I loaded xp on it and it ran fine. Then not to long ago I came across a 10 gig hard drive that was out of an old computer that was running windows 98. The 98 OS had an adminstrator log in and password so I just figured I would format the drive. I typed in something like "format c:/s" and it ran through a bunch of stuff. I came back the next day and turned the comp on. It booted up and then it just went to a command prompt "C:>". I don't know what to do next. When I start up the comp with my xp disc on it won't run it. If I try to get to a D: command prompt It will not work, I don't remember what it says offhand. From an A: command prompt I tried to run a boot disc that I made with another machine that was running xp. That does not work either. Can anyone help me on what to do? I think the computer is not aware that it has a cd rom, or the burner for that matter. I think I may have messsed up a few of the "setup options" trying to figure it out. Is there somewhere I can go that I can get the stock settings. I need help. Thanks in advance.

You will have to go back into your bios setup and get your boot settings to read cdrom/floppy/hardrive sequence set. if you can't, try loading bios defaults in setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom