adding HD without losing info on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

rae_rae

Beta member
Here's my issue. I am trying to install a hardrive with data on it, to another computer without losing the data in it. The computer it was on crashed so I took it out and am putting it in another one. I'm adding it as the slave drive. I get to the point where it asks me to format the drive, but doing so will delete all the data in it. Am I doing something wrong. Is is possible to install the hardrive without losing the information in it. I never backed up the data in it so i'm in a tough spot.

I did that and it will not let me boot up. I end up with the black screen and "A:/", which at that point, I don't know what to do. At that point I did the FDISK, went through the prompts and ended at the Formatting question, which I pressed NO and I'm back where I started again.

so, if the drive is the slave, it shouldn't ask to be formatted? i'll double check to make sure I set the jumper correctly to set it as the slave drive. other than that, are there any other common troubleshooting steps that I should check?

Thanks for the your help. Turns out I did have both drives set as Master. Once I switched one to the slave drive, everything worked beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom