I NEED HELP !! dialup wireless requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

mquint

Beta member
I need help Pleasssse !!

I have a two PC's running on windows XP that I would like to setup with a dial-up wireless network but don't want to run wires through my walls and don't want to get another phone line installed.

As stated above I'm currently on dial-up connection (DSL & Cable not in my area).

Is there is a wireless network kit that I can buy which includes all the parts required to make my network connection work and still work with my dial-up?

Is there wireless network manufacture (two or three kinds is cool) that has a will work with my dial-up. And won't cost a fortune and would I need a third party software?

Thank you

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do here... if I understand correctly, you have a dialup connection on one computer, and you'd like to share it so that you have internet access on another computer in your house. If so, you could buy a wireless access point and a wireless card, and share the connection over the wireless network easily. Linksys (www.linksys.com) has several products that would be acceptable for this task.

If that's not what you're looking for, please explain ;)

It also depends on what ISP you are using. If you are using AOL there isn't any way to share a dialup connection. If you are using MSN (>IF< they still allow it to be done) you will have to use the Dialup Networking included in the OS for the connection rather than the MSN software. In fact, any ISP that uses client software for the connection, you will have to go with the Dialup Networking in Windows. From there you will have to setup Internet Connection Sharing (XP has a pretty good wizard to take care of that setup).

If the ISP that you are using requires that you sign in through thier software (like AOL) it isn't possible to share that connection. Not to get overly technical, but it involves the authentication that the company uses for internal security. Standard Dialup Networking connections have security holes all over the place, and most ISP have restricted that access.

Hope this helps.

Alexander

Thanks Guy's, I'm new at this stuff so I have a few questions.

1. I have XP on one pc and 98se on the other does that make different?

2. Will I be able to stay on-line If the main pc is turned off?

3. Can I work independently on different web sites at the same time?

4. Would buying a wireless access point and a wireless card be all I need and does it make a different which kind of units I use as far as speed?

My ISP is "att worldwide" dialup network should I ask them if I can connect the two pc's first before I purchase the needed componets?

1. It's easier if the pc that's directly connected to the 'net is using XP, but it's not essential since 98se has Internet Connection Sharing as well.

2. Unfortunately, if your main PC is turned off, the other pc loses its internet connection.

3. Both computers can be surfing different sites simultaneously.

4. An access point and wireless card should be all you need. As far as speed, even the slowest wireless equipment would be plenty fast to share a dialup connection. If that's all you need the network for, go with whatever's cheapest.

It's probably best to check with your ISP, but if you don't need any extra software (apart from Dial-up networking) to connect to the internet, then you're probably OK.

How much slower will it be I'm running at 30 kbps now?

In you opion is it worth fellowing through with this?

I don't want to buy everything and than find out it doesn't work.

It is possible to do it very cost effectively. Just check the newly released product www.nebowireless.com. In addition to the wireless link mentioned in this web site, which will connect your PC to a dialup ISP via wireless, you need to do the following:

1. Have a network of your two (or several) PCs, either via a router or some type of wireless connection (a cost effective way for the two PCs is the "ad hoc" 802.11 arrangement. Check with any store selling WiFi stuff. Most of salesmen should know this.
2. Use "Internet connection sharing" from Microsoft

Wireless Link just provides a link between one of your PCs and the phone jack. It will be part of the whole setup.

Also try to read the FAQ http://www.nebowireless.com/faq/index.html#q017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom