WD or Maxtor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two of the industry's leading hard drive makers recently announced that they are teaming up to create a new company that will produce more than 50 million hard drives per year.
The Maxtor and Quantum desktop hard drive businesses will become Maxtor Corp. The all-stock transaction is valued at about $2.3 billion. Michael A. Brown, chairman and CEO of Quantum, says the new Maxtor is "going to be the premier drive company in the industry."
Maxtor's current president and CEO, Mike Cannon, will head the new corporation. Brown will join the new company's board of directors. Cannon estimates that it will take about 18 months to complete the integration, and says he foresees a 10 percent reduction in workforce because of the reshuffling.
The remaining parts of Quantum storage business, including the market-leading DLT tape line, will remain a separate company retaining the name Quantum.
The boards of both companies unanimously agreed to the deal. Quantum's Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Group stockholders will receive 1.52 shares of Maxtor common stock for every share of HDD common stock they own.
Cannon says, "The combined company will have the financial resources, product breadth, and intellectual property to capitalize on the future explosive growth of storage at both the storage device and subsystem levels." He estimated growth of about 15 percent per year. The company expects total sales to reach $6 billion annually.
Brown says he will not speculate about what effect the merger could have on current hard drive prices, which have been in a sharp nosedive for years. Analysts say that the desktop PC market has matured, forcing price wars between competing companies.
Like Quantum, Veritas and Seagate recently split apart their enterprise and desktop hard drive businesses. Seagate, which owned Veritas, spun the storage management vendor and took the desktop hard drive business private.
Hyundai Electronics America, which owns a 35 percent stake in Maxtor, indicated in writing that it supports the merger

Cappy said:
The Maxtor and Quantum desktop hard drive businesses will become Maxtor Corp. The all-stock transaction is valued at about $2.3 billion.
Yesterdays news. This happened a long time ago.

Cappy said:
Michael A. Brown, chairman and CEO of Quantum, says the new Maxtor is "going to be the premier drive company in the industry."
If they want to show how much of a "premier drive company", then they should show a bit more faith in their own products by offering a standard 5 year warranty as appose to 3.
Also I find that seagate is much easiler to deal with whwn it comes to the occassional RMA that i get back.
Seagate I can deal with directly, and i normally get a drive back in 2 weeks.
Maxtor I have to put back into the channel, and it could be a 1 month to 6 weeks (prehaps longer) before i see the drive back.

At the end of the day for me....
WARRANTY TALKS. BULLSHIT WALKS.

We've had several Maxtor's that lasted over 4 years, in fact one is still working as a backup to a newer one. The 30 gig is almost 5 years old and going strong. The 80 gig is less than a year old.

I have a 160 gig IDE Maxtor and a 80 gig SATA Seagate, and both are less than a year old but they replaced ones that were over 4 years before they bit the dust and were under 30 gig in size.

I've never had a WD but that doesn't mean I wouldn't. Liz

Im using a Western Digital 80GB HD (See sig.) I've only had it 4 months but have had no problems with it at all. I would recommend Western digital, but on the other hand I've not had first hand experience with Maxtor HD's.

Retro.

I have an 80GB western digital IDE drive running at the moment, it's pretty good, although I'm replacing it with two SATA Maxtor 160GB drives in a little while.

As far as I am concerned, Maxtor dominates in speed, Seagate is the quietest, and Western Digital are a good trade off between the two.

I have 4 WD's one of which is a 7 year old 10gb HD out of a PeoplePC built machine, the other drives are a couple years old atleast. Never had a problem with WD and I think they are a solid brand. I've heard good things about maxtor so I don't think you can go wrong either way but I prefer WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom