svchost.exe error :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

narcot1kz

Baseband Member
well it started happening out of the blue ,.. I seacrhed up some online i know how svchost controls alot of major thing on your pc,.. and I seen a whole lot of people had the same thing happent ot them how the problem just started happening BUT what i didnt find in my searches is a way to fix it :( does any one have any idea because I formatted 5 days ago trying to fix it but with no luck and it happens pretty randomly some days like none and some days like 10 times in a hour which i have to reboot to be able to use my pc after that ..

(CPU) 1-Intel Pentium III (Cu), 680MHz, 256KB (0% Load) .:. (RAM) usage: 154/512MB (30.08%) .:.
(GFX) RADEON 7500, (Display) 1024x768/32bit/60Hz
(OS) Windows 2000 Professional, Service Pack 2 (5.0 - 2195), (installed for) 5d 3h 7m, (uptime) 8m 19s .:. (HDDs) 11.26G/26.92G(41.9%) free

I've got the same problem...

maybe you can stop it with this:
remove the files in:
C:\DOCUME~1\[user]\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER[0-9].tmp.dir00\
where [user] is you username and [0-9] is just a number, I don't know witch one it is...
But that's for winxp :confused:

man your good lol , I actually deleted msblast.exe this morning but i didnt think anything of it i thought i was adaware , but i ran those and it removed the rest of the viral pattern and reg files thx :)

oh, yea...
I see, Norton Anti-virus has found it...
Alright, that's better now!

** SOF2 is the best! **

I have run Symantec's "FixBlaster" and removed the worm. However, as soon as I logged on to download the MS patch I recieved another svchost.exe error message. So I suppose the worm is back.

Worse yet, I have Service Pack 1 for Windows 2000 Professional and was not able to install the patch because it apparently requires SP2 at least.

Even worse yet, I have dial-up internet access and the latest service pack express installation requires a download of over 35MB. I believe that would require about 4 years to download at 56k. Actually, the estimated download time was around 500 minutes! In any event, I'll get bumped off the internet long before I get that far into the download.

I have run FixBlaster every time I see the svchost.exe error but the attacks are relentless and occur almost as soon as I finish running it.

Can anyone help?

PS-I just pulled up the task manager and I can see msblast.exe running. When I try to end process it says "task could not be completed. access is denied."

roho said:
Hi

Sounds like you MAY have the w32 Blaster Worm.

Do a <CAD> and see if a service is running called MSBlast.exe

If so kill the service, then go here:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

There is a security update over at M$.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp#

HTH

can i do the same if i am running win xp? can i delete the damn winblast.exe file or do i need it to run xp ?
ty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom