need help with HD boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

namnaz

Beta member
Hokay, here's the story:

I was pulling the power cord out of my video card a couple weeks ago and I broke off some module that was loosely connected to the board. When I booted the pc back up, I just got weird colors, so I went and got a new video card.

Now when I start my computer up, between the motherboard logo screen and where the windows xp screen should be, I get a black screen and then an error message saying my windows system file is missing or corrupt. It tells me to boot from my xp disk and try a repair installation, but when I try that and get into the repair (right after I select the drive that I want to repair) I get a blue screen with white lettering and everything freezes up.

I tried 2 different video cards just to make sure that the new one wasn't causing the problem, and I also stuck in a different hard drive with a fresh xp install on it, which booted fine.

Can anyone out there help me out at all? I'd really appreciate it.

Try booting in safe mode uninstall the old card and drivers then install the new 1

The error I get when xp won't boot is this

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I'll post the error message that's on the blue screen once I get home. (I'm at school right now)

And I can't boot into safe mode because I never get to the XP logo screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom