Making games run faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not invest in a $10-20 heatsink? prolly could put the old one on, just make sure theyre compatible. but wouldnt having a cheap new one make you sleep easier at night when your overclocked cpu's running?

you can't just put in a new xp2500+ if your old mobo was using a Athlon 950Mhz. you would have to buy a new mobo to support it.

yeah, see the motherboard can get into some money.. What if the 2500 was Socket A ? and what do i have to look at to see if my mobo will support my new CPU ?

say, your computer doesn't happen to be a hp, compaq, dell, sony, or other major brand? if it was then forget the new CPU idea. if your computer is custom made ("whitebox"), then whats your motherboard?

download CPU-Z and find out the make and model of your motherboard. From there google up some manufacturer info. Chances are though with you running an Athlon 950MHz I'm going to say it won't support up to a 2500+ XP....even if it did you'd probably want a new motherboard anyway just so that would be up to date and not lagging behind

yeah im gunna check stuff out, and see how far i can go with a new CPU even like one for 50 bucks, it could be better than the one i have now. But, some people say i cant play todays games with this CPU and if i got a good VId card, and some more memory, and some say that i can ? I dotn realy know what to think. i am kind of in a dilemma, i dont know what to do. Should i just try the new vid card, and the memory ? its got to run ok, if its a T&L card, the min is 600MHz for sims2, and i got 950..i just realy dont know what to do i guesse...i realy dont have the money for a new computer, or alot of major major upgrades on mine, like a motherboard. all i wanna do is play todays games.. lol

I hate to burst your bubble, but games are the driving force behind increasing technology. Games are by far the most demanding applications you can run, so you can't just skimp out on last years parts.

Also, most of the parts that you guys have tossed at him are getting really obsolete and won't last him very long. There's no point in investing $400-500 in upgrades if they're only going to just cut it.

I'm looking at the specifications in your signature, and you really need a total revamp done. Sure you can keep pumping in little bits and pieces here and there, but in the end, you'll just find yourself in need of even newer parts before you know it, and then you've wasted away all that money on parts that haven't really lasted you all that long.

Save up some money, and get a totally new computer, with parts that can keep up with games and such for a decent time span. Yeah, it'll cost you more up front, but you won't be scrambling to replace your parts every 6 months.

Buy parts that have room to expand, don't buy a part that you know won't be able to support new technology in the next year. That way even if some of your parts do fall behind, you don't have to replace everything and take another big stab in the wallet.

well i duno. $400-$500 is alot, but it won't nearly cost that much. get a mobo/cpu combo on ebay. it whould cost you like $85 including S&H and it will probley be like a athlon xp 1800+. pay another $45 and get a ti4200. pay another $40 and get another 256mb ram. i luv ebay :)
for $170 you can get a system that will play todays games alright ;)

First of all, buying already used computer parts, especially from a source as unreliable as ebay, is asking for trouble. Second, the parts you've listed once again prove my point, you're recommending parts that will probably just get him by with this years games, but games of tomorow, good luck running them on that setup. He's stuck in the same situation again. Also, he literally needs an entire new system, his power supply is way too low to handle high powered parts, his video card is no way going to handle games well, he probably needs a bigger hard drive, more memory, new proccesor and motherboard, and probably a new case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom