Problem with Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahhhwhereditgo

Baseband Member
My first problem is that i run a XP 2600 chip, 133 fsb. It reads as a 2000 on my CT-7vif4 motherboard. I heard that it may be because the clock speed is actually around 2 ghz and thats fine. But the computer also randomly shuts down on me for no reason. Is theres a way to manually adjust hte jumper settings on this board?

When the computer shuts down it wont turn back on again until i flick the power off from the back of the powersupply, unplug the computer for a few seconds, replug, and turn back on. If someone knows that it is not a problem with the way the board is reading the chip and may have insight on this problem it would be greatly appreciated. The power shutting off is my main problem, I'm just curious if the board reading the chip wrong could be a problem.

A 2600 XP has an FSB of 266 not 133. When you look in the CPU frequency section it's listed as 133 but the FSB of the system is 266 because of the RAM being DDR for double data rate.

If it's being read as an XP 2000+ then your CPU frequency is probably at 100 when it needs to be 133.

As for the computer shutting down you should check to see if your temperatures are good...preferably no higher than high 50C's full load.

CPU May need a reseating if your temps are really high.

Try clearing the CMOS then resetting all your BIOS options to where they should be.

Ok thanks alot, I'm just confused. This is actually my girlfriends computer, the board has no PC health status so i cant check the temperature. I think the problem could be thermal paste. When i changed the fan over from a previous chip..actually had to remove fan twice becauseof bad motherboard before, i didnt reapply thermal paste. Would this cause this type of problem. I also heard it could be the PS but the PS is a brand new 400 Watt.

i didnt reapply thermal paste.
If you don't have thermal paste on there consider yourself lucky that it didn't fry altogether.

Yeah a PSU can lead to random restarts and even if the PSU is new if it can't supply enough power to the computer or happened to be crappy upon purchase then restarts would be expected.

Programs like motherboard monitor 5 can tell you your temps but you need to know the exact manufacturer and model of the motherboard to set it up correctly.

Use a program like CPU-Z to find out that kind of info.

I know the exact model and it isnt supported on motherboard reader. Already checked that, all that program does is look at your motherboard temps...since this motherboard doesnt have a temperature reader, it has nothing to read.

There definately was some thermal paste on the fan, but it wasnt near new quality and im wondering if that was the cause. And the PS Im guessing could be it too, I hate laying out money jsut to test somethign lol. Ok well thanks alot for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom