Making games run faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisman88990

In Runtime
Getting more RAM, and a better video card, would that make the games run any faster. Like have better FPS rates ? Or is my processer going to skrew me over on trying to play any of these latest games ?

Could i upgrade my CPU ? I saw some Socket A CPU chips on newegg for like 90 bucks. That would still be better than what i got. Like 1.5 Ghz and stuff. Could i use the same heatsink ? Just replace the thermal pad?

well actually its possible. i used to have a 1.1ghz athlon, 128mb ram, tnt2 pro and then i upgraded to 512mb ram and a 9600xt and i can now play HL2, Far Cry, UT04 fine. you should definetely try to get another 256mb ram if not more and a 9600 pro or something. then if you OC you CPU to say 1.2ghz, you should be able to play modern games fine.
EDIT: but if you upgrade your CPU too (if your mobo can handle it) then you'll be even better off. but it would be smarter to get a whole new system then upgrade every component with still out dated parts... and you would need a PSU to power all this stuff, so if you can afford, just buy a new system

oh well, i dotn think i even have a warrenty left anyways. lets say it did fry, then i can get one on newegg for like 50 bucks, thats better than this one. So has anyone heard of frying them by overclocking them, and what would be a safe overclock for a AMD athlon 950Mhz, Thunderbird core.

yes you can fry your cpu by overclocking it too much and not adequately cooling it. And overclocking that thing is a lost cause.. you can get a 2500+ for like $80 thats 1.8 ghz without overclock

lol yeah i kinda figured it would be, i just need to spend my xmas money on 256mb of ram, radeon 9600 or better, and a new CPU.

EDIT:

If i did get the new CPU, could i use the same heatsink ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom