Plz post feedback on Dell's PowerEdge Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discusman

In Runtime
Do anyone own a Dell PowerEdge server (SC420 or other model)?

I'm looking to buy one, so I like to hear some opinion on that.

Not sure what is the right server for me. I have a database driven website to host with discussion forum, photo galleries, search engines and file upload features.

According to Dell, I need a Dell Tower 800 for that which it is expensive ($1400+).

Does SC420 support Windows 2003 Enterprise Server edition?

Thanks.

we use power edge servers here at work, dual xeon 2gig memory and they're pretty nice. They're SQL servers and antivirus servers mostly.

killians45 said:
we use power edge servers here at work, dual xeon 2gig memory and they're pretty nice. They're SQL servers and antivirus servers mostly.

Dual Xeon 2gig? It gotta be expensive.

Do you have any experience with some lower level of PowerEdge such as SC420 etc???

I have a small website with a light daily internet traffic.
However, it is a database driven and file upload features, search engines embedded.

I'm running Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition.

What would you recommend me to buy? Thanks.

dont have experience with lower models, type in the model you are looking at and add review for a google search... like do this in google

PowerEdge SC420 review

and search that should give reviews for it and it'll give you an idea. As far as what to use, what kind of dbase? SQL, oracle, how is it written?
R u using .ASP? .NET? Just a normal webserver, give me the system details and I'll let ya know.

killians45 said:
dont have experience with lower models, type in the model you are looking at and add review for a google search... like do this in google

PowerEdge SC420 review

and search that should give reviews for it and it'll give you an idea. As far as what to use, what kind of dbase? SQL, oracle, how is it written?
R u using .ASP? .NET? Just a normal webserver, give me the system details and I'll let ya know.

DB: Access Database
Language: ASP, JAVA and HTML
Features: Discussion forum, Search Engine and File Uploader, Photo galleries
Internet Traffic: low (20-30 hits daily). This number may grow in the future

I've also heard Servers are very noisy compare to Desktops. I am planning to place the server in my bedroom.

Then I am afraid it would be too noisy during the night.

Would build my own server solve this problem? Thanks.

u could, and you can use just a normal system as a server if you wanted. what is the system specs?

killians45 said:
u could, and you can use just a normal system as a server if you wanted. what is the system specs?

Are you sure I can use any desktop to work as a server?

I was having a nightmare to make my brand new Dell Dimension 3000 desktop to work with the 2003 server OS.

Finally I had to return the computer to Dell.

The problem was:

The drivers that comes with Dell resource CD are not supported by Windows 2003 server OS.

So I got bunch of question marks next to the following devices:
Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI Simple Communications Controller
SM Bus Controller

The new Dell comes with Windows XP Home installed.

I have people told me that Windows 2003 server OS supports older generation of pc because the older versions of drivers have already been written in the OS database.
However the windows 2003 became very picky when it comes to compatbility to newer computers.

Would you still believe you can make any desktop to work with Windows 2003 OS?

I even contacted Intel regarding this issue since the New Dell comes with a Intel Pro 100m Integrated PCI NIC card.
They told me the NIC card is not compatible with Windows 2003 OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom