Dimm??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it make a diff if I bought it w/ 512 mb in one socket, and buy another at a later date? This is an x-mas gift from my parents that I get to choose, and I don't want it to be too expensive (they have 3 other kids to buy gifts for).

yes and no. you should be happy with 512, it will be enough to run most apps and windows xp... however might be a little slower esp. a couple months from now...
i say no, b/c i can't prommice that putting a second chip of another brand will work without any issues... but it is done, and done everyday. as long as you match the ram as close as possible and update bios, there shouldn't be a problem.
if that's the rout you are thinking, go for it! that's a nice laptop, you should be happy with it!

Edit: just a thought, if you ordered the second module from Dell later on individually by calling them and telling them what you have they will match it up with the ram you need and you won't have a problem.

Great, thanks for all your input...Deciding on a laptop can get pretty hectic when you don't know what you are doing...

Not yet, I am waiting to put the order in after x-mas - but it will be a Dell. Here are the specs:

Inspiron 5160

Pentium 4 538 (3.20GHz, 533MHz FSB)
Microsoft Windows XP Pro
15 inch SXGA+ LCD
1GB - 333MHz (2 DIMMs)
60GB HD @ 7200 rpm
64MB DDR NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go5200 AGP 4x Graphics
Dell 1450 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g, 54Mbps) Mini-PCI card

I kind of wanted the external card, but there are no choices for that. Well this is it, feel free to critique. :)

wow!
not bad for a laptop!
what's sad is it's about as good as my desktop. only dif. is i have 2 gig ram and 120/80 gig hard drives.
you should be pleased with it...
good call on the XP Pro. much better than home.
i'm wondering, what are you getting for DVD/CD read/write abilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom