New Computer Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

toogreen

Baseband Member
I have $1000 to spend on a gaming computer. This is what I was told I could get for around $800 just need opinions on better stuff or is this good?

ATX Supercase 124 mid tower 350W P4 USB
AUS A7N8X-E Deluxe NF2/MCPT
SEmpron 2800+ SOCKA 2.0GHz 256K 333MHz
512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM 3-3-4
GEFORCEFX 5900XT 128DDR AGP8X VGA/DVI/TV
LG CDRW 52x32x52 BEIGE RETAIL
WINDOWS XP PRO
80GB HARDDRIVE
DELL MONITOR

anyway just please help with suggestion thank you in advance.

i would suggest bigger hard drive, and a better video card.
if you got enuf dough, get a better processor, but you'll hav to change the mobo also.

ynot a dvd burner??
any plans for a sound card??

xotix said:
i would suggest bigger hard drive, and a better video card.
if you got enuf dough, get a better processor, but you'll hav to change the mobo also.

ynot a dvd burner??
any plans for a sound card??

if all hes doing is gamin than 80GB is plenty i think.
I concur wit ha better processor and mobo, the Semprons aren't really that great.
Also how much are you spending on the video card? a 6600GT will own that card and probably cost you the same if not less.

Is this a dell machine?

The 5900XT is not the best video card. And the FX series entirely SUCKS with HL2. Get at least a Radeon 9800 Pro, or maybe a 6600GT.

beedubaya said:
The 5900XT is not the best video card. And the FX series entirely SUCKS with HL2. Get at least a Radeon 9800 Pro, or maybe a 6600GT.

a bit harsh lol, but certainly true. The FX series TRIED to be DX9 supported...but it failed pretty bad. A 6600GT can be had for under $200 easily and they overclock very well. Even the AGP models.

a 6600gt for under 200? where? The PCIe version yes maybe but no AGP version... idk

and toogreen, for $1000 you have a lot of options. But make sure you spend most of your money on 1)motherboard 2)CPU 3)RAM 4)Graphics card 5)HD, everything else is secondary.

Yeah definitely concentrate on what Forchunet said. Anyway, I still think you should get the 6600gt because it will be better overall. You should be able to get a better processor and mb for that amount, right?

Here are some of the specs of my computer that cost me just under $1000.

Athlon 64 3400+, 1mb L2 cache
ASUS K8N nForce 3
Geforce 5900 ultra
120 GB hard drive
512 mb kingston ram (soon to be 1GB corsair xtreme)
8 Channel Bose, LeaderXt surround sound

I'd stay away from the sempron, if you invest a bit more money I'd recommend getting an AMD 64 bit proccesor, preferably with a 939 socket and winchester core. That should give a good reliable system for a good deal of time, and it leaves the door open to upgrades in the future.

Also, get a new power supply, most generic ones that come with cases aren't really that good usually and it's worth the extra money to invest in a more powerful one, since after all if that PSU fries it's probably going to take something with it...

I agree that if you want to build a gaming computer, stay away from sempron, or get a sempron 3100+ on http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=19-104-207&DEPA=1
and it is only $115. Sempron 3100+'s average performance had surpass Althon XP 2800+ and almost reached Pentium 4 2.8. Check it out:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron_10.html
So first i strongly recommand a Sempron 3100+.
For hard drive, 80GB is plenty.
And for the video card, I suggest you get a ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-102-297&DEPA=1
If you still have spare changes after, get another stick of 512. Memory is very improtant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom