Try to use my Dell Dimension 3000 as a server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discusman

In Runtime
I have formatted my brand new Dell computer. It originally comes with Windows XP Home edition installed on the HD.

Now I have formatted the HD and installed Windows 2003 server.

All the drivers that comes with the Dell are only compatible with Windows XP.

I can't even use my NIC card to logon to the internet.

What should I do? Thanks.

well...from what i've heard, seen, and read server 2003 is xp only with server software, install ur drivers and u should be fine.

delldude4100 said:
well...from what i've heard, seen, and read server 2003 is xp only with server software, install ur drivers and u should be fine.

The driver for the NIC card is not compatible with Windows 2003 server OS. I've already tried it.

The NIC card is Intel Pro M100 Integrated NIC Card.

I've also did a search on Intel's website for that NIC card driver. They do not have it.

I am guessing that NIC is just made for windows XP (non-server os)ONLY.

chog said:
You could always go pick up another NIC, as they are pretty cheap.

This could be one of my options.

What NIC card is compatible with Windows 2003 server OS?

The new Dell is missing serveral other drivers for its hardware components also. But the NIC is the biggest issue at this point because I can't access the internet without NIC.

Do you guys think is it worth to return the Dell desktop and buy a Dell poweredge server?

I like to hear your opinion. Thanks.

With them being as low as $350, if this is what you really wanna do with it then go for it.

Too much problem with returning the Dell

I realized returning a Dell to Dell Inc is a big hassle and I would told the shipping cost is couple hundred dollars.

Now I am thinking more about modify my Dell Dimension 3000 to a server.

I called Intel and they told me My NIC card Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC is not compatible with windows 2003 server OS. It only works with Windows 2000 and XP.

In Device Manager, I found a question mark next to the following devices:

Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
PIC Simple Communication Controller
SM Bus Controller

just take a look at the hardware. Goto dell.com or what ever search threw the piles apon piles of drivers (unlike ibm, thatll teach you!) then install and your done. This doesnt seem to overly hard to me, but then again I did skipp threw alot of this thread. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom