WD or Maxtor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I stopped in at the local bestbuy for some holiday shopping and saw that they have a 80gb WD hd for 35$, and 80gb Maxtor hd for 80$. The maxtor is ata 133 while the wd is only ata 100, both have 8mb cache. Which one is better not considering the price? I know I can find better deals on the maxtor ata133 online. Or is there a different brand i should consider for a new system hard drive?

Thanks.

I don't like to have anything to do with MAXTOR.

I would go for the Western Digitals.

However i would go for SEAGATE personally as they now come with a 5 year manufacture's warranty.

Maxtor offers the ata 133. I had a seagate fail on me, so i would go with wd before a seagate, i havent had a wd before, only a maxtor and a samsung.

For 35 bucks and 80 gigs, it would probably be worth your investment even if the wd only lasted 3 years.

~Fawks

Oh.... one last thing. IF you go for the WD, try to avoid ones that were manafactured around about May to July of 2004. I think WD had a bad bach. I have had too many RMAs come back on WD drives this year. All of them were around this period. Otherwise, I have had not problems with them.

ive used maxtor for over a year now, no probs at all. Also i have a maxtor from 1990 and still works great. Only has 170mb but it runs 95 ok.

i bought a maxtor 80 gb for $60 at staples the other day... kind of loud at times but not terribly or all that often anyway.

still my WD 40 gig is quiet as can be.

I've never had a seagate fail on me, and I know few who have.
Seagate are my personal preference of hard drives

WD have always been a good brand too, I would use WD if I couldn't use Seagate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom