Memory Problems...HELP PLEASE!!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeZ_NutZ_805

Baseband Member
ok....been lookin to upgrade my memory, was workin wit 320mb, but figured id up it to 512mb.....so i go and buy a new stick, pny 256mb pc100, and get home...put it in the slot....start up the pc, and i get taken to the F8 screen before the OS loads that asks about starting up normally, safe mode, etc...so i press enter to start windows normally....and repeatedly, im taken back to that same screen, never any progress. now when i take the old 256mb stick out, the new one works......could it possibly be that the new memory stick isnt compatible with the older chip sets??

im using an HP Pavilion 6830, pretty sure the old memory chip is also pny, id say about 4 years old , maybe more.

any help is very much appreciated

are u sure u have it in right? i had to push down REALLY hard to get mine in...be careful, it mighta just been my comp so dont break it

(the latches have to snap on, but i'm not sure how ur comp is, i dont know anything bout old comps)

yea its in right..its the same way to where u have to push it down hard to make the latches pop into place on their own.......they snap in and everything....ive tried different methods lol

1 stick in each module (switched both)
1 stick alone tried in both modules

so ive tried all methods...they jus dont work together....i actually jus had the same problem, ordered a stick from 4allmemory.com, and same thing...returned it, got refund...now this with a different stick of memory

they might not be compatible w/ each other, but if they have the same speed then they should be

are u sure u have it in right? i had to push down REALLY hard to get mine in...be careful, it mighta just been my comp so dont break it
generally if they aren't in the slot right the computer won't boot at all.

Deez, google this name - memtest86+

Download that program, put it on a bootable floppy or CD and test each of your RAM sticks one at a time for errors. This will tell you if the RAM is screwed up or not.

If you don't get any errors with either stick then come back here and we will offer more suggestions

What processor do you have?

If you get this problem with only the new stick in the board then i would consider one of the following.

Memory incompatible with processor FSB

or

The stick could be faulty even though the memtest checked OK

A faulty stick can let you get to the windows boot up splash screen then the computer just reboots.

Boot with each stick in and write down the results here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom