Baseband Member
I have a 5 month old system:

P4 2.5 (512 cache, 400FSB)
P4s8x-x motherboard
PC333 512DDR
Maxtor 80G harddrive
ATI 9200se 128MB videocard
Not sure what kind of case

I am having a little trouble with my temperature.

When I am checking email, chatting, and word processing, the cpu temperature is about 39-43C. When I am scanning for virus, the cpu temperature can get to 45-52C. And whan I run a game for half a hour, it can get to about 55-58C. The motherboard temperature did not really change, it is between 28-32C. My room temperature is 20-24C. (according to Asus Probe 2, the program comes with the motherboard)

Is this a little too high?
My room temperature can reach to 30 and stay for 2 or 3 or 4 weeks.
By the way, I am not a gamer (I just use the game to try the temperature), so if you think my temperature is too high, I really dont mind underclock it. If you think I should under clock, can you teach me how? Should I use the program or just change it in bios?

I believe that's somewhat high for an Intel chip, but if you aren't overclocking it'd be ridiculous to under clock your CPU, because then you're just robbing yourself of power.

Are you well adept into computers? If so you might want to consider reseating your heatsink with some better thermal compound.

A reseating could be all it needs to make better contact.

Also do small things like blowing all the dust out of the system if there is any.

Clean up any wires if you can, this will give you better airflow into the case.

Although I am interesting in computer, I am not a computer expert and dont really want fix it. I think I might as well leave the way it is. Anyway, normally the cpu speed is only 40C and motherboard is 30C under a room temperature of 23.5C. And I dont play game, so I think it will be ok. I am just wondering, how should I underclock my system (just for summer, those few weeks where my room can get to 30). Can you please give me some detail information.

Thanks. I was wondering. I download Clockgen program from internet, does it work? Is it better to use Clockgen than use bios to change it?

Man, i highly suggest you stay away from under clocking a Celeron..... or w/e low profile Intel that is. Once you do it your going to be runing alot slower. I would just get a nice heatsink and new cpu fan, you wouldent have to give up the most important thing about a computer,speed.

BIOS is always better than any winbased overclocking utility...BUT if you have no other choice and don't have enough options in the BIOS then ya gotta make do with what you can get...

I'd get some more opinions on the heat, although like I said generally Intels run cooler than AMD's and the fact that a Celeron at that is heating up in the high 50's then you should reseat the heatsink....granted for anyone who hasn't done it before it can be somewhat intimidating to do.

Mine is not a Celeron, it a Northwood P4.

I went into bios, but the problem is, I cna only over clock, I cant under clock.

My multiple is 25.

And my current CPU External Frequency is 100/33, I can rise the external frequency, but I cant lower it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom