Good Comp or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered my computer and it's not the best but when I'm done putting it together It will be able to play all the new games with acceptable framerates. Yours will be able to play doom 3 and HL2 but it will prolly be pretty choppy at low to mid settings. I spent $950 USD (no monitor or speakers) so yea.

Your gonna want a new graphics card but yours is playable now. and also some more/better ram eventually.

Pridurak - I live near toronto, brampton

EDIT lol im lookin at newegg right now... its just like music supplies or paintball stuff.... its a sickness lol just a thought:p

I'm Canadian myself...residing in Mississauga.

Anyways...couple of things to watch out.

First, this computer is refurbished. I have a friend who bought a refurbished HP computer from Futureshop online that gave him a lot of problems because they did not supply him with any recovery discs. After months of hassle even with HP support which is infamous for its bad quality he ended up buying a brand new PC. So make sure the PC will supply you with recovery discs because if your PC gets infected or etc. and you reformat you will be in big trouble. Also, refurbished means a used PC which has been "retouched" so basically you're buying a used PC for $900.

Second, the RAM is horrible...it's SDRAM. Everything else is fine. I saw one poster noted it is hard to upgrade HPs and that might be a concern but usually I have seen no problems upgrading an HP. Dells are notoriously known for their incompatibility of parts other than their OWN. So if you're a person who likes to upgrade make sure this PC is capable to do so.

The processor is top notch. Very good for gaming. Their GPU is suspect but hardly ANY brand PC will give you good GPUs especially one at that price because a great GPU costs MORE than that PC itself. For example, a 6800 Ultra in Canada costs nearly $1000.

Honestly you can get a MUCH better PC at that price.

Here is a brand...MDG.

www.mdg.ca

They are having a ridiculous sale right now. Also system is upgradable within order at the store. They will give you an upgrade of memory to 1 gig PC3200 DDR400 for $9 and a LCD screen for $9 but CRTs are better for gaming. However their PCs don't give you top GPUs but for $100 (this is not indicated on the site but you can call your nearest store) they will upgrade your GPU to a Radeon 9550 which is better than a 5200XT. Also, I think for another $100 you can upgrade to a P4 3.0 with HT instead of the P4 2.8. I am talking about the Vision CL/2004 which is $997.

Or you can go the pro route which is build your own PC but that might too much of a hassle for a busy person or a person with inexperience.

My recommendation is don't buy a refurbish PC...explore other options. If that is the best option you can find then by all means purchase it. Don't rush into the decision because you might regret it.

i actually have mdg right now.... its ok... but it came with a crap graphics card (radeon 7000!!!) a p4 1.7 with 1 gig of ram and a 80 gig hd and a flat screen. I heard that mdgs arent very compatible.... I'm not sure if this is true because this is my parents business comp.... I want a comp for myself... so that I cant do a little of everything... gaming... picture editing... surfing... I'm not really lookin for top of the line... or top of the line gaming machine. And what if I decide to go with the refurbed comp... can i ask the salesperson for the disk's or will he/she say no. I've never had bad luck with refurbed items, but i guess its not always the same.

jeff1000 said:
i actually have mdg right now.... its ok... but it came with a crap graphics card (radeon 7000!!!) a p4 1.7 with 1 gig of ram and a 80 gig hd and a flat screen. I heard that mdgs arent very compatible.... I'm not sure if this is true because this is my parents business comp.... I want a comp for myself... so that I cant do a little of everything... gaming... picture editing... surfing... I'm not really lookin for top of the line... or top of the line gaming machine. And what if I decide to go with the refurbed comp... can i ask the salesperson for the disk's or will he/she say no. I've never had bad luck with refurbed items, but i guess its not always the same.

No mdgs are quite compatible. I just added a new GPU a couple months ago in mine with no problem...a ATI 9800 Pro. Dells are the most incompatible because of their case. I guess that depends on mdg as well since I have seen different cases supplied at different stores. Also their support in my experience is top notch. Like I said rarely do brand name PCs give you top notch GPUs unless you want to spend a TON of cash.

My knowledge about refurbished products are that they usually do not include recovery discs. Best thing to do is to call and ask before purchase. I'm not really keen on refurbish not only because of my friend's past experience but because of recommendations by friends who work in computers and so forth (like IBM). But if you have never had a problem then you should go by your experience but as long as you know that PC is basically used then you know what you're getting into. I have met people who bought refurbished stuff and never thought it was used. They just thought it was like an old model in the warehouse that couldn't sell so the company took it and "touched" it up to make it more sellable. Never have they been more wrong. Most of the time refurbished PCs are either office returned or returned by people who experienced problems with them beforehand.

Here is another place where you can get a pretty good deal much cheaper than mdg and better components:

http://www.computercentral.ca/

It's at dixie. Here is what I recommend for your price range:

http://www.computercentral.ca/performance_multimedia.htm

They give you a X600 PCI-e which is pretty darn good for that price and 512 MB DDR2.

Just make sure you do all the necessary research before you buy your PC...I can't stress that enough and explore different options. I used to be "dumb" and just go buy a brand PC at like futureshop only to find out I can buy a better PC for much less if it were not for the brand. And I'm not talking about brand name parts IN the PC and that is what really matters.

If you want complete control of what is in your system you can build one yourself. That is really the best way to go.

I don;t think I have the knowledge to build my own PC... I could never have the patience or get enough money... because if that were an option for me I'd go top of the line everything, but in my case I'm obviously limited.

Does computer Central have a retail store because I live like right off of dixie. South of Bovaird( highway 7) I guess since you line in sauga you may not no too much about bramptons roads and stuff.

So ya I'll check out Computer Central.

hey man you can go on most pc sites and have them build you a much better sys than any suggestions from above AT ALL COSTS AVOID PREMANUFACTURED NAMEBRANDS MDG just a french version of dell or sum crap like that (genuin intel MB) LOL made in tiawan by 8yr olds

notice the warranty plan better get all that man theres another 2-300 if you dont i bet youll be sorry in the long run

i just priced an amd 64 3200 with everything but vid card and monitor and vid card was just an upgrade from a 9550 i think 849.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom