computer lies about processor speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe you severely overclocked your processor, that would explain why they replaced it with a new one. it is correct that your amd xp2000 runs at a 133mhz physical bus, so why you tried to set it at 166mhz is puzzling. to find out the exact processor you have check the OPN ordering part number imprinted on the CPU itself near the die and match it with AMD's OPN chart on their website

I've never overclock it. the first one came out the box making noise (it was defective) when I had the fsb set at 100. they only reason I found out the second one said 2600 at 166 was I was just fiddling with the bios. I don't think I want to take it out just to see the part no. but I will look for the number if I have to take it out in the future

Seria said:
It worked, thanx. I didn't know where to fix the problem. I just thought I had a stupid mobo - MSI K7N2 Delta2 (never tried this mobo B4)

Yeah MSI doesn't take their motherboards to very good schools. ;)

True_Orb said:
Yeah MSI doesn't take their motherboards to very good schools. ;)

I finding that out first hand. I have to run a raid card on my as my ide controller is killing hard drives. it is under warranty, but i don't want to send it back and wait for a new one

Yeah MSI doesn't take their motherboards to very good schools
Don't know what you guys are talking about. I've had 2 MSI boards that were nothing but great.

they only reason I found out the second one said 2600 at 166 was I was just fiddling with the bios.
Yeah the BIOS reads the chip based on the FSB and clockspeed once you get it past it's normal. If you bumped even your current processor up to 166 IF it booted it would show you 2600+ XP

Mine would say 3200+ XP but I'm at 2.5GHz instead of 2.2 so it'd just say 'Unknown Processor' for me. A BIOS flash fixed it so it'd say AMD Mobile XP User for the CPU :p

Nubius said:
Don't know what you guys are talking about. I've had 2 MSI boards that were nothing but great.

Yeah the BIOS reads the chip based on the FSB and clockspeed once you get it past it's normal. If you bumped even your current processor up to 166 IF it booted it would show you 2600+ XP

Mine would say 3200+ XP but I'm at 2.5GHz instead of 2.2 so it'd just say 'Unknown Processor' for me. A BIOS flash fixed it so it'd say AMD Mobile XP User for the CPU :p

So I take it that, to mean that I can't get it to work at the 2600 speed, right?

So I take it that, to mean that I can't get it to work at the 2600 speed, right?
Well if it's not a 2600 then no, but I'm not entirely sure what you're asking there. If you don't know what you're doing then just don't bother messing with things like the CPU FSB because you could really do some damage.

Regarding your other question I'm going to have to ask you to not hijack this persons thread and to not double post because I've seen you've already posted that question in it's own topic so I'm going to erase it out of your above post ;)

Plus I answered in that other thread

Nubius said:
Well if it's not a 2600 then no, but I'm not entirely sure what you're asking there. If you don't know what you're doing then just don't bother messing with things like the CPU FSB because you could really do some damage.

Regarding your other question I'm going to have to ask you to not hijack this persons thread and to not double post because I've seen you've already posted that question in it's own topic so I'm going to erase it out of your above post ;)

Plus I answered in that other thread

I post it here first and decide to put it as a topic as it seem like hijacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom