my comp wont start, new cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take a look at the many little "towers" that are around the motherboard (little cylindars). If any of them have popped and you can see a substance on the top of them, the motherboard is bad. This is usually a long term result, not necessarily by the lighting. Also take a VERY good look at the motherboard and see if you can find that something has been literally fried. If so you are out of luck.

ok, i unplugged the hd/floppy/romdrives from the actual devices, should i unplug them from the motherboard itself, it doesnt seem like iut would matter since they're not connected to anything. anyway i already tried to start the comp with only ram/cpu /fans/videocard/network card connected, and it did the same thing which i believe means the ps isnt to blame. i inspected the mobo and it looks the same it did the day i got it. no burn marks or scorches anywhere. i dont have any other psus and my only comp-savy friend only has one psu and its in his computer, so i doubt he'll wanna pull it.
i think im gunna get a 450watt ps just for the hell of it, and if it is the mobo, then atleast ill have a 450watter to run it once i replace the mobo.

i would like to keep everything i have now, but obviously get a new mobo which is compatable with it all. any suggestions on which. ill probably only play a game once or twice a week, not that often, i surf the web and post on alot of forums. i also listen to alot of music.

i had that problem when i installed my mobo in a new case.... you mobo may be grounding, check to see if your mobo isn't touching the case. its defianetly NOT your cpu... that was bullshi!!T....

well, my mobo is screwed down using 4 metal screws to the domes on the side of the case. so its touching the domes which are part of the whole case. should they be touching, or not?

stainless steel
so ill try and find some brass screws. hopefully i dont need a new mobo. it has had the same screws for a while, its whole life actually so i dont know why it would matter now. ill try regardless

peaceeric

found out

You said that you had a new processor correct, eric? If you have just installed it make sure that you had enough thermal paste on it(thats what i call it). I switched out my motherboard and processor (to see if it worked for a friend), after putting back my processor and mb i was still using the same little bit of the thermal sticky pad(dont know the name) that was on my heatsink. Long story now shortened, the paste rubbed off onto my other processor and when i put the original back in there wasnt enough and it arced. So it was my processor all along. But now i have a new reason to spend money on newer parts so it all works out good. Thanks for the help

Chris

when i installed the new processor i put a new heatsink on, with the thermal backing thats on it already. i still havent tried brass screws or a new psu beacause ive been busy and ive been without my comp for a while already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom