Asus board shows low CPU speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

maylar

Solid State Member
I recently switched to a new Asus MB model A7V400-MX with a new in the box AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU. The CPU box says it should run at 1.667MHz with 333MHz FSB. But my BIOS says 1000MHz clock and 100 MHz FSB.

Is this normal?

I have tried fussing with the DIP switch on the MB but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks.

One thing befor I leave raise your FSB to the standard its normal yes its default

Peace

Kadahaf Out :D

Normal in this case means you need to go into your BIOS and change the CPU FSB from 100 to 166 if your CPU is 333FSB.

Motherboards always default to 100FSB for safety reasons when installing a new CPU...unless you had a CPU in there and just swapped out the CPU without clearing the CMOS then it could try and run whatever CPU you stick in there at the previous CPU settings...

This is why you always need to clear the CMOS when installing a new CPU..

And when you get a new motherboard you can expect it to always default down to 100FSB

I see this problem in here alot.. i think Nubius should make a sticky post .. something like "Motherboard/CPU speed problems: Read Here First!" and explain the whole FSB thing to people.

I see this problem in here alot.. i think Nubius should make a sticky post .. something like "Motherboard/CPU speed problems: Read Here First!" and explain the whole FSB thing to people.
Hmm not a bad idea....I shoulda been on top of that idea :p I'll have to type something up regarding that and see if the other mods dig the idea which I'm pretty sure they would.

Thanks for the suggestion rasputeena :D

And this only happens with AMD not Intel...but I guess its a good thing
Allows for more control and customizability IMO

Not that you can't do the same with Intel but I suppose it's nice safe way of making sure you don't accidentally fry your CPU.

Besides intel are marketing whores that go after grandparents and alike...if they made you had to set option in the BIOS no one would understand.

That's why AMD is less known and generally you have to know a small amount about computers and how the work if you really want to get the most out of your AMD chip.

IMO That's better that they do that, then you learn about the 'magic box' that you're using down on the floor :D

OK, that's dandy but... there's no setting for FSB in BIOS. It reports the number in one of the screens, but it's not editable. Unless I'm missing something..

More than likely there's a jumper on your motherboard that needs to be moved. Check your manual for any jumpers that adjust CPU Speed. Either put it on Auto or set it to 166 if like I said your CPU is infact 333FSB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom