Counter Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
I bought counter strike pack over the weekend. It came with Half Life, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, Opposing Force. The two latter ones i havnt used yet though. Im planning a network of 4-5 computers to play counter strike on, and my good computer (Axp 2200+) being the server for those other 4-5 computers. This LAN will be primarily for Counter Strike, but also i could install Age of Empires, AOE 2, Liero X, or any other older games. Already i have my server, and one other one which has counter strike installed upon. Now, can someone gimmie the rundown on how to make a LAN of these computers, and what equipment (Cat5, Hubs, Switches) etc i need.

Wayne

firstly you need the network cards in the computers, you can pick up 100mbps cards for about $10 aus, and install them and the drivers into the computers

with 4 or 5 computers, it is best you get a router, get one with a firewall if you're planning to use the internet on them
then just get the cables, make sure they're long enough, and connect all the computers to the router.
your OS should automatically connect to the network, but if not, first try renewing the IP of each machine by going into a DOS box, and typing in 'ipconfig /renew'
or you may have to specify the IP address for each computer, they should be something like 210.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x and different on each machine
the 'gateway' should have the same numbers except for the last 'octel'
the subnet mask is just 255.255.255.0

ok, the network cards are fine, i already have 100mbps networking support on 2 of the computers, and im sure i can get real cheap network cards (less than $5 each). I wont need a router with a firewall because the network isnt going to be connected to the net. What does a router actually do, and what does it look like. I thought i needed something called a "hub"

Wayne

Since there are only 4-5 computers I would use DHCP to configure the IP address. On your server computer go to control pannel -> network settings -> rightclick on your network connection -> properties-> select internet protocol ( TCP/IP ) -> properties -> advanced -> make sure DHCP is enabled.

This will assign any new system to the network an IP adress automatically.

As far as hardware goes for a lan party that small you will need a small hub and network cable. You will only need CAT 5 cable ( enless your runing a gig network in which case you will need CAT 5e cable).

Actually get a switch instead of a hub, a switch spreads the same bandwidth as the input for all of the computers, and a hub splits the bandwidth. So lets say you have a 100mbps connection, that goes into the switch, to two other computers which are also connected to the switch, each of those computers will receive the same 100mbps connection. Now if you throw a hub in instead of the switch, the bandwidth gets divided so the other 2 computers would only be getting 50mbps. Well thats atleast what I have been told...

well, ill try to find a eqivalent over here, mabye even the same brand and model..... also thanks for the opinions and suggestions.

Also i have another question:

look at this image of counter strike on my computer:

Screenshot

Well the New Game and Load Game are greyed out so i cant play single player games. How do i get this function because ultil im setting up the network, i wouldnt mind playing against bots (which is still better than not playing at all right?)

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom