[HELP] Installing a New GPU HSF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
My boss just gave me a Thermaltake Giant III GPU Heat Sink.

Instructions look pretty straight forward. However is there any thing that i should watch out for when installing a new GPU HSF.

oh man, that thing looks monsterous from the times I remember looking at it. Seems like quite a bit of work in putting that thing on.

Hmmm...I wouldn't say there's really anything you need to watch out for. I'd say about the same rules apply for the GPU as a normal CPU. Just make sure you got a thin smooth layer of some good compound and then start installing the heatsink according to the instructions and you should be fine

The most important thing is to apply the thermal paste over the ENTIRE gpu and don't tighten it to much because having the heatsink crammed onto the gpu means it's not gonna use the paste.

I got a few Thermaltake products recently; one was a cooler for my graphics card, an 'Extreme Spirit' designed for a Northbridge but using it on my TNT2. the instructions are good, and I doubt you'd have anything to worry about

The most important thing is to apply the thermal paste over the ENTIRE gpu and don't tighten it to much because having the heatsink crammed onto the gpu means it's not gonna use the paste.
Current GPU's today look exactly like a CPU for the most part. You only put the paste on the GPU Core. Also he doesn't have to worry about putting it on too tight as heatsinks basically smash down on the GPU core as it is. It's not meant to have grease be noticeable between the two. The grease is meant to get into the microscopic valleys that both the CPU Core and heatsink both have on their surfaces. The better the finish of the heatsink the less paste you need. A thin layer on the GPU Core is all that's needed and even that will get squished a little because the two surfaces are meant to be firmly pressed together.

Nubius said:
oh man, that thing looks monsterous from the times I remember looking at it. Seems like quite a bit of work in putting that thing on.
Took me about 2 hours to install the guy. Okay, 30 minutes of that was spent trying to work out how to connect this guy to my Hardcono 12. But a dive into my BITS BOX later proved successful.

The only problem that I have not is that fan on the top is just a little too big for my case.
See what happen next year when I get my tax return.

Here is some photos
BEFORE :-
LEADTECH GFFX5700 256Mb RAM with DVI/VIVO
BEFORE.jpg

AFTER :-
LEADTECH GFFX5700 256Mb RAM with DVI/VIVO with VOIDED WARRANTY and THREMALTAKE GIANT III GPU HSF
AFTER.jpg

Plus i have my hardcano 12 connect up to it monitor Temp and Fan speed. I managed to get the temp. detector just between the GPU and HEAT SINK.

Nubius said:
Current GPU's today look exactly like a CPU for the most part. You only put the paste on the GPU Core.
Which I did do. The my thermaltake rep advised me that too.

Now i think I am going to play some SWG or HL2 and see how cool I have keep it. :p

Spent the last few hours playing star wars galaxies with it. The highest that my GPU got was 51c.

The strange thing about this latest edition is that my case temp is down by 5c on avarage (as appose to before when did not have the Giant III). Not sure how that is happening, that that is a good think in my opinion.

since the warranty is already void, maybe you can overclock a little and see better performance
when graphics get a little buggy, you've overclocked it too far, and you should put the speeds down.

my overclocked TNT2 saw another 100 3dmarks from stock speeds

apokalipse said:
since the warranty is already void, maybe you can overclock a little and see better performance
when graphics get a little buggy, you've overclocked it too far, and you should put the speeds down.

my overclocked TNT2 saw another 100 3dmarks from stock speeds
That was the next question that I was going to ask. How do I got about Over Clocking GPUs???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom