Newbie asks for an opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordGothren

Solid State Member
hello everyone
Im a nooby whos just getting in to computers and im finally ready to attempt to build my own. Im hoping that some people can give me there comments on the parts ive chosen. Tell me if there all compatible, they work together, make me feel like a jackass when i find out that ive gotten all the wrong parts :)

I was intending for this to be a gaming computer so if anyone knows of any better parts that i could get plz tell me.

So heres what i was going to buy

MotherBoard
Intel "BOXD925XCVLK" 925X Chipset Motherboard For Intel LGA 775 CPU Supported CPU: LGA775 Pentium 4(HT) Processors
Chipset: i925X + ICH6R
FSB: 800/533MHz
RAM: 4x DIMM for Dual Channel DDR2 400/533 (Intel PAT) Max 4GB
Slots: 1x PCI-Ex16, 2x PCI-Ex1, 4x PCI
Ports: 2x PS/2, 1xCOM, 1x LPT, 8x USB2.0(Rear 4), 3x 1394(Rear 1), 1x RJ45, 2x SPDIF Out, Audio Ports
IDE: 1x ATA 100 up to 2 Devices by ICH6R
SATA/RAID: 4x SATA by ICH6R with RAID 0/1
Onboard Audio: Intel High Definition Flexible 8-CH CODEC
Onboard LAN: Gigabit LAN
Onboard 1394: 3x 1394
Form Factor: ATX

Processor
Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 520 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

Graphics Card.
ATI Radeon x800 Pro.

Memory
CORSAIR VALUESELECT 240-Pin 512MB DDR2 PC2-4200, Model VS512MB533D2

Hard Drive
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model ST3120026A, OEM

Cd-rom Drive
Samsung Beige 52X32X52X16 DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive, Model TS-H492A/WBEH, OEM

Case
RAIDMAX Green Aluminum Gaming Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "668WGP" -RETAIL

Floppy Drive
NEC 1.44MB Floppy Drive, Model FD1231H, OEM Drive Only

Sound Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 Value Sound Card, Model "SB0400" -RETAIL

I already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse

So there it is. Am i missing anthing? Will it all work? Should i abandon my quest to build a computer as hopless? Do you have any comments, questions, concerns?

Any opinions on this at all would be greatly appreciated

nice but the processor is'nt really that good for games but otherwise not bad:d get a AMD643000+ or 3200+ but make sure that you get a good heatsink for your processor:D and maybe a nice VGA cooler and a hard drive cooler not needed just extra:p and you forgot the OS windows XPhome or pro boths good OEM versions are ok just dont cmoe with the pretty green box:p and get some nice led fans case fans:D maybe be some ram lights currently where i found them is http://www.xoxide.com/

processor/MB: AMD is widely accepted around here as the best for gaming (and it is also cheaper IMO). I would suggest an Athlon XP 2800 or 3000, or go for and Athlon 64. Another option would to go with an XP mobile if you are interested in overclocking. If you got an athlon xp 2600-mobile, you could overclock it to speeds higher than the top tof the line processors (with proper cooling of course), and it would blow away a pentium 4 2.8gig (and the motherboard and processor together would cost cheaper than a p4 2.8). I would recommend: an ABIT NF7-X v2 motherboard ($75) and an athlon 2600-mobile ($75).

Graphics Card: In my opinion, ifyour not an "ATI loyalist", the 6800 GT and Ultra will outperform the x800pro in most games. Since the 6800 Ultra is around $500, you can save some money and get a 6800GT for 200, and if you got the EVGA 6800 GT, i have heard that if overclocks to speeds of an ultra fairly easily. So my recommendation: 6800GT ($400)

Memory: At this time, correct me if im wrong, but DDR2 PC2-4200 memory probably costs alot more for maybe a little inprovement if any. I would go with a cheaper, PC3200 memory and get a gigabyte of it and run it in dualchannel to increase your performance, and that would outperform the PC2-4200 memory anyday. Also, many motherboards my not support that RAM, be careful. My recommendation: Corsair 1 gigabyte (512x2) PC3200 Value Select.

Hard Drive: ok if thats how much space you want.

CD-ROM: Whatever you want.

Case: A fine choice; i was gonna get my friend one of those for his comp. I would caution you watch your power supply as you are not buying the case for the power supply. They usually stick a cheap one in there as extra. So in the future you may been to spend 50 bucks to get a new power supply, but if yours is good, more power to ya.

Floppy: fine

Sound card: Great choice, but are you going to have speakers to take advantage of it. I personally have never heard sound from the SBA 2, but i have a SBA with 4.1 speakers and they sound great. So if you are not going to get high end speakers, maybe save some money and get a Sound Blaster Audigy (1).

In all, your choices seem to work ok, but make sure if you get PC4200, your motherboard supports it. If you can save money here and there and getthe same or even better performance, try to do that. Other than that, good luck building!

512 DDR is nice, but for gaming, I would personally try to get at least one gig. Also, if you are going to drop the money for a X800 video card, I know you really want a nice gaming comp, so I would reccomend a 6800 GT instead. The proc is nice and will handle most games, I would try for a little tiny bit fast like at least a 3ghz P4, or of course, take a whole different direction and get a AMD proc, which are better for games. The comp in my sig is my gaming machine and I personally stuck with Intel, but I'm just stubborn like that.

thanks for all your help sniper and ak_smallez.

I forgot to add also that i have speakers and

Is there a good site with information on how to build? Im still a nooby and i could use all the help i can get

its pretty simple once you get the parts. But if you google it, im sure there are tons of guides on what goes where.
BTW, what budget are you on, and what site are you planning on buying from (if its newegg, i can give you the sites on the parts you want). If you on a large budget, you can get a really good water cooling setup for 150 and be able to Overclock a 2600-m to crazy high speeds (nubius got his to 2.7 gigs with is think is highest around here for AMD.. and that is equivalent to a pentium 4 4.5 gigs or so i think haha).

well ill definantly look into a 6800 ultra or GT

Can anyone tell me if theres any good sites to learn about computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom