Builfing from ground up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCgod*

Baseband Member
Building from ground up!

** I already have a OS,monitor, keyboard+mouse,speakers etc.**

This will be my first system im building from the ground up so as soon as it gets here is this all I need or do i need extra cables? or anything? Need to get updates from website or update any advice will be greatly apreciated.Thnks for futher assistance. :)

Thermaltake Highest Xaser III Blue Case with 420W Power
Thermaltake Highest Xaser III Blue Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "V1420DU" -RETAIL
$157.50

CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives)
CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives):
Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, Model LTR-52327S, OEM
$20.00

Hard Drives
Hard Drives:
SAMSUNG 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model SP1203N, OEM Drive Only

Memory
Memory (System Memory):
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200C2PT - OEM
$99.27

Motherboards
Motherboards - AMD:
ABIT "NF7-S2" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket A CPU -
$59.00

Processors
Processors:
AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2600+, 266 MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache Processor,45 Watt - OEM
$95.00

Video Cards
Video Cards:
EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express,

ALSO* are these componets all good for OC I think some are these parts are referred by NUBIUS :)

Gaming system hopefully to build!!! :)

Thnks all

This is the board you want for overclocking:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-166&depa=1

The BIOS on the NF7-S2 and -S2G are not the same as the NF7-S v2 board. The -S2 and -S2G's are NOT made for overclocking at all....unfortunately I found this out the hard way when I didn't know any better and bought the -S2G thinking it had all the required BIOS options. ABit's website says that it has all the BIOS options but trust me it does not.

The overclocker board you want is the one I linked. NF7-S v2

Also your video card there is PCI-Express...the NF7-S v2 isn't a PCI-Express board. You need to get the AGP version of that card which can be found here:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322698

They don't have it on newegg. Not from eVGA anyway and personally I like eVGA as one of the top card manufacturers.

Everything else looks fine and good to go. if you got 2x256mb RAM sticks you could run dual channel and even overclock them fairly well because from most things I've heard the board is more easily OC'd with 2x256 than it is 2x512. The OCZ Platinum Series Rev2 are currently the best sticks for overclocking reaching speeds of 275MHz+, but of course if you want a 1gb down the road then you obviously don't want 2x256mb :p , plus you can still get good OC's with 1gb, but some people have reported more stable and higher OC's with 2x256

Also you should perhaps looking into getting a SATA HD instead of that IDE. I'm not saying go for the 10,000 RPM SATA drive, but they have 7200RPM drives too so the benefit there is that it will be 150mb/sec data transfer which is better than the ATA133 you have selected there. Also do not get a 2mb buffer HD like that one above is. Shell out a couple extra bucks and get the 8mb buffer and then you'll have a nice fast HD.

Good luck :D

Ok i like the case, but one thing. I would recomend the same case W/out a psu. Get an Antec 430w Truepower instead casue it will help alot down the road where OC is concerned. Most ppl fry stuff and think its their Hardware when its really not. If your psu goes out in the middle of the OC then most likely your gonna fry something. Plus the case will cost a little cheaper in that matter! Now on the CD/RW, i wouldnt buy a lite-on. Ive had real bad experiences and so have my family. One just died on me for no reason ETC. And ditto nubius on that VIdeo card. Get the eVGA cause no mobo for socket A supports pci express and eVGA roxers my(and your) boxres. well hope i could be of help and have fun and happy holiday! mguire out.

Thermaltake makes excellent and strong good quality PSU's..They are one of the few that when they say 420w, it delivers 420w and I don't think Antec is any better than Thermaltake if not a little less as far as quality is concerned. Normally a case that comes with a PSU will have a crappy PSU, but with thermaltake you can generally rest assure it'll be a good PSU. I got the Thermaltake 560w PSU. Of course I need all that with the amount of fans I got, the OC'ing and now I have 4 HD's in my system so she's a power hungry beast in thar :D

yo sorry to bring this post back up but would it be stupid/redundent to get a decent vid card (285$) for a Socket A proc and CPU(Socket A also ) I can always take it out when and if i upgrade right along with my ram, case, hard drive, and cd-rw drive correct?

OCgod* said:
yo sorry to bring this post back up but would it be stupid/redundent to get a decent vid card (285$) for a Socket A proc and CPU(Socket A also ) I can always take it out when and if i upgrade right along with my ram, case, hard drive, and cd-rw drive correct?

If your new mobo uses the same AGP type then it's not a waste. But if you plan on upgrading to PCI-E board then buying a $285 AGP card is a bit of a waste. Also if you are going to be using a DDR2 mobo then the DDR RAM won't be compatible. But most still use DDR.

yes, true.

AMD didnt feel that the incorperation of DDR2 into their new platforms was a good move, because it is so unrefined. Perhaps by the time the next AMD platform is released, they will use DDR2 and therefore it will become the standard.

I think that AMDZone has an article on this subject... i could be wrong.

Im saying im going to be upgrading in the future but not soon im really interested in overclocking and i wanna try on good overclocking hardware such as the listed about for a reasonable price, ecept the mobo which Nubius helped on that which one to get. So im going to be using socket A mobo and CPU which I know down the road is not going to be upgradeable b/c it will be almost near impossible to get but, I was just making sure that Im going to be able to reuse my 285$ card after I OC it and get tired of the socket A mobo and CPU and just go with the 939 and like amd 3500+ and put it with it and I can also resuse the case and RAM and cd drive

OCgod* said:
I was just making sure that Im going to be able to reuse my 285$ card after I OC it and get tired of the socket A mobo and CPU and just go with the 939 and like amd 3500+ and put it with it and I can also resuse the case and RAM and cd drive

If your socket 939 mobo doesn't have an AGP slot, then you won't be able to reuse it. I think by the time you get one they will all be on PCI-E/X or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom