What I thought was hd problem was not it. WHAT IS IT???

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the only thing it says on the screen
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Some things to try here. You said you have new memory, try removing the memory, and just use one module to boot with. Also try to run the repair option with your xp cd and repair the exact file that is corrupt. That should do the trick, if not, post up any more erros and we can go from there.

~Fawks

You can also try the following procedure.

Go into recovery mode do the following

when promted type:

md TMP [Enter]
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak [Enter]
delete c:\windows\system32\config\system [Enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system [Enter]
exit [Enter]

That should be the alternative fix to your problem if the previous post does not fix it.

~Fawks

If I can find out what is causing this to happen it will be great. I don't have anything on the computer that I need saved or anything. I am going to do a complete fresh install but first try a power supply and then if it needs it a mother board.

Figure this out?? I am going to try and reinstall clean again but as everyone says turn it off and boot from the cd. I do that but it says put in the proper cd. The only way I can get it to boot is to shut down, turn on, have the hard drive unplugged and when the start up screen gets to a certain point plug the hd back in again and it will go to the xp screen to install. What the he?? is going on here/?/????

Sounds like your CD is fux'd up. That's generally the cause of a fresh install giving you a problem like 'System file is corrupt'

Yeah the CD-ROM isn't necessarily the problem though. The WinXP CD you got sounds like it's got a scratch or if there's no scratches perhaps it's a bad copy or something to that degree.

that'd be the only reason I could think of you getting that error with assuming the CD-ROM and everything else is working correctly.

Theres alot of things that can cause this problem unfortionately your lack of system specifications limits our ability to help you.I tried to find your original system specs with what little info you provided but i had no luck .The serial number is the only way to track that system .Gateways are set up in a propriatary manner .So what would be helpfull is to no the original system specs.Go to www.gateway.com and type in the serial number then copy and paiste the original system specs.Then tell us what you have changed or added to the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom