Question about upgrading RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockfnbttm

Solid State Member
Hardware isn't really my thing, gotta question about upgrading my RAM. Did a scan of my computer, told me I have 512MB PC2100 DDR-SDRAM. . I was looking on Ebay, so as long as I get a 512 PC2100 DDR-SDRAM, any one will fit in the slot? Or do they have to be a certain type?
thanks

If you purchase the same type, then yes it would fit in the slot provided. You should check out your motherboard though, to see how many slots you have available for memory modules.
Just because you have 512mb of ram, does not necessarily mean you only have one stick of ram, it could be two 256mb modules. So, let's verify how many modules you have, then see how many slots are on your motherboard and go from there. :)

~Fawks

Crap, good thing you asked. Just looked at my chipset and DRAM slot # 1 and # 2 each have a 256mb DDR SDRAM chip. It doesn't say if I have anymore slots, but I'm sure if I did, it would just list them as EMPTY. So I'm assuming I can't add anymore RAM? BTW, I'm using EVEREST Home Edition to benchmark my comp.
Thanks for your help

Well, you can buy more ram, you will just have to remove one of the other sticks. Maybe even sell it to a friend or post it on eBay or something like that. Or even here, I notice they have a buy/sell section. :)

~Fawks

Oh ok, sweet. So eventually, if I wanted to, I could swap those 256 sticks for 512 sticks no problems? As long as I made sure it was PC 2100 DDR-SD RAM? Or could I upgrade even more, say to like PC 2700, or PC 3200? Does it really matter?
Thanks again

As long as you do your homework and verify how much ram your motherboard can handle, and up to what speeds it can handle.
Yes it does matter, if you were to buy something incompatible, then it obviously would not work.
So use google, look up your motherboard, find out what it supports as far as ram goes and make your choices from there.
But to answer your question, yes, most motherboards nowadays can handle at least a gig of memory, so two 512 modules would work just fine.

~Fawks

Ok, thanks for info. I looked up my MB, here's the info:

Memory 2 x 184-pin DIMM sockets support two 2.5V DDR SDRAMs (DDR333/266/200)

Maximum: 2GB

So DDR333 is the same a PC2700 right? I looked at my RAM in there, it was PC2100 184 pin, 2x 256MB. So I should be able to make an upgrade to 2x 512MB PC2700 DDR with no problems, correct? New to all this stuff, so PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks

DDR333 is just the frequency of the ram itself. So when you purchase some new ram, just make sure it has a good speed on it. So yes, PC2700 is ok, even PC3200 would work for you. Just make sure you specify that frequency when you do go to buy some and you're good to go.

~Fawks

Thanks man, you're a friggin' lifesaver.. 3 more quick questions. I'm looking at Newegg, and:

1. Does the Manufacturer of the RAM REALLY matter?

2. Am I looking for Registered or Unbuffered RAM?

3. ECC: Yes or No?

Thanks for everything

Whoa whoa wait....this is incorrect:

DDR333 is just the frequency of the ram itself. So when you purchase some new ram, just make sure it has a good speed on it. So yes, PC2700 is ok, even PC3200 would work for you.
PC3200 won't work for him because his board does not support DDR400 which is what PC3200 is...some motherboards will downclock the PC3200 to PC2700 speeds and some won't accept it at all so it could be a gamble for him

The top Manufacturers IMO are:

OCZ, Corsair, Kingston and in that order from best to least best.

You want Unbuffered, Non-ECC RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom