Monitor(s) Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
Alright, I've got really wierd problem.

Lo and behold, it all started with AOL.

So one day, after AOL kicked me off (AGAIN) I got sick of it and decided to run their "Autofix" program. Well, what it does its takes control of your computer and "fixes" it. By fix they must mean damage. After that utility had completed itself, my computer entered into a start up loop where it would install some network driver upon 98se start-up, then say restart, then install the driver in the same way, and say restart again. So then it finnaly loads into Windows. Then I try to start AOL and it says "You need to install that file that you just installed twice or AOL won't work properly. Oh yeah, and we're gonna need to restart your comp after we install it (for the third time)" So what choice do I have, I have to hit ok. Well guess what, after it installs the file, it sends you back into the restart loop I described earlier. Rinse and repeat....and repeat...and repeat. (I'm trying to get AOL to work for the rest of my family on the family pc, btw. I got my laptop just in time :))

Here's the only problem I'm really concerned with solving right now.
I haven't had much time to work on it, nor did I want to attempt to. So one day I'm in the shower and my mom gets on the phone with AOL tech support. By the time I get out of the shower, the monitor doesn't even work. I have no clue what they had her do, but they sure are retarded. So after checking cables, connections just in case, I brought up an old monitor, hooked it up, and it worked. Well now about 1-2 weeks later, this monitor has the same problem, it just won't display the PC.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I plan on reformating (somehow) soon, but it would be nice if I could get display up.

Oh yea, and on the first monitor the pc was still booting into windows, just not displaying anything. I tested it with keyboard short cuts. And I'm pretty sure the monitor self-test stopped whenever you turned on the comp, yet nothing took its place. I'm guessing the same is true with this second monitor (too old for a self-test though).

You use AOL!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Do you know how to use Petrol and Matches?

Heres what you do, liberally apply petrol to PC and then light a match...

But seriously I had that problem once its all about advanced graphics functions, like colours and stuff, atleast thats what i think - i just formatted the PC and everything worked happily ever after.

Until they started telling me to burn things again...

Actually I'm not sure if it's even loading into windows any more. It's gotta be a pretty deep problem though because I've tried both the on-board video and my Radeon 8500 LE and it won't work on either. I've switched back to onboard before when a screw came loose on the vid card and it worked...never fully disabled it, not so sure I even can since its an OEM fubar bios.

If had my way I wouldn't use AOL, but like I said, its the family PC and I dont pay the bill. Can't wait til broadband at college :).

Ok, this has happend to my friends computer, when his family decided to call aol without him, and they went into Add/Remove programs and went to town. What u would do it uninstall all aol programs. Then reinstall it and just type in your aol account information. It should ask you if you want to delete all aol settings/files that were current withen its presents.

If that dont work then completely reboot your computer starting over again. Dont forget to save anything you need in your mail or on disk. Then install aol and ad your account information.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled AOL like 20 times, same problem every time. I'm just going to reformat and hope that gets the display back up... and unfortunately...reinstall AOL for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom