2 operating system?! serious problem URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff1000

In Runtime
ok, long story i guess...

1. I unistalled Sonic DLA
2. Booted and looked in my computer none of my disk drives were there.
3. System restore to the point before the unistall.
4. Booted up windows wouldn't load.(it would go to the start up selection screen and ask what i want to do... safe, regular... if you choose one itll close... cycle starts again)
5. booted up with xp cd in.
6. installed xp again.
7. xp is working again... kinda
8. all the old programs....documents... are still on the hard drive... except none of the programs work.
9. i'm ok about the programs not working. but the biggie is all the emails.... I need to get all my emails, and accounts back.... or were they over written during the xp install...

So yea any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

Yeah, you should be able to recover them...but if you remade a program/account name that was used with the old email account, it may have over-written them...so as he said, which email?:)

Try the export feature with OExpress. Export it to your hardrive then burn it to disk. You should be able to tell if your old mail is there because when you export all your folders in OExpress will be there with a .dbx extension.
Then after you reinstall windows, break out the disk that you burned the e-mails to and copy them back to your hardrive. Then use the import feature in OExpress.

Good luck and hope this makes sense.

BTW, use Thunderbird for mail. OE is evil.

This PC has a burner I hope...
COPY the dbx files to....any folder you wish..you know how to create a folder? If not it is OK. Just let me know if you know how to create a folder...

the dbx files should be in C:\documents and settings\your previous user name\application data\identities\{this folder has a random name}\outlook express\

just copy them to C:\documents and settings\your current user name\application data\identities\{this folder has a random name}\outlook express\

you will need to reinstall your programs; the programs registry data, and any files it needed which it put in any of Window's folders, will be gone after a reinstall of Windows

if windows has some problem you need to reinstall to fix, but you want to keep your programs and settings, instead do a repair install by putting in the XP disk, starting setup, then after it says "searching for previous versions of microsoft windows" press 'r'

yea i backed up everything i need and now i just need to find time to reformat... i wanna start clean. Thanks for all your help guys, I'll update you soon, or whenever i format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom