Master to slave, slave to master question

Status
Not open for further replies.

texas_law

Beta member
I bought a new hardrive 6 months ago and installed it as the slave. I've been having tons of problems with that configuration, and want to change the newer/bigger hardrive (current slave) to master, and the older/smaller hardrive (current master) to slave. Do I need to completely reformat both hardrives? Is there a way to do it without losing all of my data (or having to back it up) and having to reinstall every program I have? I'm guessing that will be necessary, but wanted to check before I started. Thanks! Ryan

If I do that, will I still receive the benefits of making the larger drive the master? My primary problem has been that when I load new software, it always tries to sneak onto the master - even if I try to load it onto the slave. Also, I have iTunes. I've relocated the directory to the slave, but in order to play the songs they, too, "sneak" onto the master.
To sum up my question, what benefits will I miss out on by just changing the jumpers, and are they significant enough to go through the hassle of backing up and reformatting?
THANKS SO MUCH!

No benefits. Do you want to run windows from the other drive? You will need to copy the entire partition with Partition Magic for example.

You can keep this configuration as it is. Burn data to disc, or copy to network, then format. and install xp on the slave. Only need to change bios to boot from slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom