Linux Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tavilach

In Runtime
I'm thinking about buying a cheap computer to run Linux, but I'm having some trouble understand some things...

Like, how exactly would I go about installing Debian?

I know that first I'd download the Debian distribution...
Then would I download X Windows or something?
And then what about KDE or Gnome?

Ahh, if someone could sort out the whole process for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh, and which is better, KDE or Gnome?

All of the stuff is in the download of Linux.

You download the .iso files off of the internet and then burn them to a cd, make sure that you burn the image as "bootable" and then put the first disk in, restart your computer and it should go through the install proccess....Everything should configure up now, but you might want to make sure that the hardware on the computer is compatable with linux or has drivers on the internet somewhere. And just go through the install, boot up and you have linux.

BTW: Gnome!!

You make the choice by using both of them and seeing which one you find the most functional / best looking. Personally I prefer Gnome, simply because I like the look and feel a bit better than KDE.

You can install multiple desktop managers, and then when you login you'll be able to choose between gnome, kde, enlightenment, window maker and a ton of other ones....

Coolness :-D. Lol I know I'm a newbie, shutup...

Can I set it to start up with one as the default, so I don't have to choose every time?

yea, the bootloaders have a "default" os that you can select, and it will boot that os in around 10 seconds since the bootloader loads......

Enough of the "......"s--it's quite obvious that I don't know anything, you don't have to rub it in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom