Computer upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
sup people... can anyone tell me how i can make this POS any faster or perform better?? i have a Celeron 633MHz, 128MB RAM, 20Gig HD, 128kb L2 Cache.... omg... it's such a POS.... my Dell 350MHz performs much faster. anyways... i don't know what the Power supply is and i don't know how to check it... does power supply make a big difference? anyways... cough up all the suggestions~ ;)

Both systems are OLD. Systems this old need to be sent out to the PC pasture. Shell out a few bucks and be happy in TODAYS technology.
If you insist....start up programs. What is loading up at startup? Spyware/Adware.....are you protected? This is a plaque.
Without the OS advice is tough.

The Rage said:
Both systems are OLD. Systems this old need to be sent out to the PC pasture. Shell out a few bucks and be happy in TODAYS technology.
If you insist....start up programs. What is loading up at startup? Spyware/Adware.....are you protected? This is a plaque.
Without the OS advice is tough.

Um.. OS is Windows ME... -_-... yes i'm looking at a AMD xp3000+ right now... but i still want to upgrade this 633 :confused:

The Rage said:
Windows ME is a disgrace to Microsoft and OS in general. Move on. If you still wan't to stick with a dead horse....
Again....start up programs. Get rid of them. Use msconfig.
Disable system restore on ME. This OS wasn't ready for this. STOP IT.
Spyware/Adware....don't put up with this! Look here... http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
And here.... http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&messageID=15002

Where is msconfig? and how do i disable them??

Click start>run type in msconfig. To remove items in this procedure, click on the startup tab and remove items that do not need to be loaded at startup. If you're not sure which ones, post up what you have in there and someone will help you.
There are ways to speed up your pc, depending on the modem you use, and what kind of connection you have. Also, a p-633 isn't so slow, I know people running 233's that we have "helped" to move quicker, faster than some 1ghz machines ;)
And, it's not that Windows ME is a totally bad operating system, it just has more issues and patches than good points. But any os, from 95 to xp, can be "made" to do things that microsoft did not intend.

~Fawks

you could always format it an run xp. Ive run xp on a k6 - 2 550mhz, 184mb ram, 10gb hdd, and the major has run xp on a p233mhz i believe.

we need to no what motherboards you have in order to recomend a CPU for those systems.But its a waist of money.

Thanks everyone for your advice... I think I'm gonna post another topic on the MSconfig and i'll list what i have... please tell me what i don't need... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom